Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New EGG owner

Ricky B
Ricky B Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought my LBGE in July. This is my first experience with the EGG and I'm hooked. I have followed this forum for quite awhile before deciding to purchase the EGG. All the feedback on this forum made my decision easy. I have no regrets. I love cooking on the thing. I made a deal with myself that if I liked the EGG, I would sell my 1954 Dodge M-37 Power Wagon (military 3/4 ton pick-up truck). This may have been a mistake. I thought for sure that I would be getting rid of the EGG before my truck. There are other things that influenced my desicion to get rid of the old truck (actually it is in very good condition) but the EGG was a strong reason. Anyway,
What I really need is a recipe for making squash on the EGG, particulary spaghetti and acorn. Any ideas, I'll appreciate.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    RickyB,
    well i am not sure what your taste's are but i found a couple for acorn squash. take some pics of whatever you decide to cook, last night we were talking about roasting a pumpkin on the egg.[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

[ul][li]55 ways to do acorn squash. remember anything you can do in your oven you can do in a egg[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE,
    WOW, thanks for the info and the website. Lots of recipies there. Roasting a pumpkin, Hum, that souds very interesting. Let me know how that turns out. I just love this thing, Wife loves it to (because I do all the cooking now)

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    RickyB,
    becareful with the wife thing that's how you end up with more than one egg
    100_0047.jpg
    LOL[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    RickyB,[p]I really like stuffing and roasting squashes. I've done acorns on the egg, but I prefer pumpkin.[p]Stuffed pumpkins are now a family fall special. Pretty soon you should start seeing "pie" pumpkins in the markets. They are generally quite small compared to the kind of pumkin used for jack-o-lanterns. They range in size from around 6" diameter to maybe 10". Smaller is usually sweeter.[p]I usually brown a mix of ground beef and pork. Now that I've learned to do pulled pork on the Egg, that will be my next filling. Then mix with ground nuts and some dried berries and 1 egg. Perhaps add a little cooked wild rice. Cut top off pumpkin. Scoop out seeds and pulp. Prick with fork all over inside. Coat inside with oil, and stuff filling in with mild pressure. Put top back on and oil outside[p]Place on Egg over a drip pan. Roast at 325 - 350. The outside will brown a bit, and the shape will begin to slump. Usually some frothy brown goop oozes out around the top when its about done. A skewer should pass through the outside without too much push when its done, but check the temp on the center of the filling.[p]They can be sliced in sections, the filling usually hold together pretty well. The slicing and puff of steam makes a nice presentation.[p]Acorns can be done much the same way, but they're harder to sit upright. [p]gdenby

• gdenby,
    I've never had pumpkin except in a pie or bread. This is sounding very interesting to me and I believe I'm goint to give it a try. I have found since cooking on the EGG that I have expanded my taste experience and cooking things that I have not done before. I'ts kind of fun.

• RickyB,[p]I've been grillin' for a long time but am new to the BGE.[p]Our tastes run the gamut from veggies through fine steaks.[p]We've really enjoyed almost all squash on the egg (have not done spaghetti).[p]Bsically, cut in half, clean out, apply evoo to meat, cook indirect at 375 until tender with a fork test.[p]We use just a few wood chips and end up with a wonderfully flavorful end product - mmmmmmm.[p]Hope this helps,[p]eddy-turn