Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef broth mushroom risotto with red wine instead of white wine?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have some red wine id like to use. ive made mushroom risotto with white wine and chicken stock, its very good. now i want to try the same thing but with beef stock and red wine instead.[p]i cannot find one single recipe that uses red wine.
all i can find is recipes that use chicken or beef broth, but always with white wine, not red.
why is this?[p]

Comments

• 300spartans,
    i make a lot of risotto. .. even when i do beef broth i still do white wine in it. ..i think red wine would be ok from a flavor standpoint, but i'm betting your risotto may end up weird shades of gray or something. ...just a thought. ..give it a try though, i'll bet it will be good and beefy flavored. ..

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    300spartans,
    Go ahead and use the red wine. A little different color and flavor, but, it'll be just as good............

• 300spartans,
    No matter what anyone says, wine is red. The white stuff is a marketing ploy.[p]Sorry but I could not help myself but I do believe the above.

• 300spartans[p]I've used red wine and tomatoes (and lots of fresh basil and parmesan) in a risotto and it was great. Just red wine on its own might make the rice take on a rather unappetising pinkish colour. But remember that many risottos look dull but most taste great. [p]
  • I've seen risotto made with squid ink, why not red wine? Justin Wilson said something to the effect that you should drink the wine you like. I say you should cook with the wine you like. Hmmm, just gave me an idea to use a Guinness next time. B)
    Best,
    WA
  • Morro Bay Rich,
    Well guys i went ahead and used the same ole white wine but used beef bouillon for the broth. i have to say i like the taste better than with chicken stock.[p]but you do have a point there morrow. but then why use red wine with only red meat and white wine with chicken or seafood. is it just because of the color?

• 300spartans,
    You are asking the wrong person. We only drink wine, which by definition is RED. Red goes great with chicken, fish, lamb, beef, zucchini, and everything else.

• 300spartans,
    If you wanted a nice deep red color then reduce the red wine to a syrup consistency
    Then add to the risotto right before serving to keep it's color. When cooking with wines red wine have a stronger flavor the whites and therefore can over power some flavors offered by seafood and chicken. Yet chicken is pretty versitile if you consider the french dish Coq A Vin the chicken is marinated then braised in red wine. Salmon for example can take some of the lighter red wines. Pork is also one of the cross over proteins. Hope this helps Hoss

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hoss's BBQ,
    Will you be visiting again this winter? If you are, you're welcome to my three Eggs for the catering. After last year, I'm guessing you will have three times the crowd. -RP

• AZRP,
    I am not sure when and if I am coming this winter. I am trying to get off work for Eggtoberfest!! Yet we have been busy as heck this year. Hope to see you soon. Hoss

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hoss's BBQ ,
    If you can make Eggtoberfest, do it. It is Waldorf times 10. -RP

• AZRP,
    That is what I have been told. I am trying to work it out we will see! Hoss

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    300spartans,[p]Here's one recipe I've actually made and thought it was good. The color is obviously very different but I didn't think it took away from the dish.[p]Also, I received the new Food & Wine yesterday and there's a recipe in there for Risotto made with red wine. I don't have access to it at the moment but can let you know more about it this afternoon(Houston time).[p]Win
    [ul][li]http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/takehomechef/recipes/episode146_02.html[/ul]
  • 300spartans,
    I look at Risotto as a blank canvas. You have special rice, and (insert you're ingredient du jour) I've made beet Risotto, salmon risotto, walleye risotto, wild mushroom risotto, squash risotto, smoked duck risotto, asparagus risotto, ... I've used red wine, and wine purported to be white, beef broth, chicken broth,vegetable stock pork stock, pretty much everything. so, what is your imagination telling you today? We all have our favorites, but it is really cool to experiment with this blank canvas. you can make it any way you want, with anything you want. it will all be good. and if perchance you don't like what you come up with...don't make it again, make something else. [p]Have fun and make it your own![p]M