Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct, indirect, baking, etc setup questions

Options
mike
mike Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do I set up for different types of cooking? Ive had my large for 2 years and love it but still dont know how to set up for differnt types of cooking. I plan on getting a medium and possibly a small soon and want to know how to use them best. Im open to all suggestions, I'm hooked on the egg PLEASE advise

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    mike breedon,
    Since you already have a large a nice companion is a small and then if you need more capacity think about a third.

• mike breedon,[p]That could be a huge bunch of answers. Tell us how you now cook, and then maybe a good way to approach it is pick something you want to cook. There's all kinds of resources in here, including recipes, instructions, tips & tricks, as well as hole web pages from some of the members that are incredibly thorough. Just a thought. [p]Are you now cooking only steak and burgers fast, and want to know how to do low and slow? Maybe you could start with Boston Butts for pulled pork BBQ or baby back ribs. Hope that helps.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    mike breedon,
    There isn't any simple answer to your questions. Basically, what I tell all potential customers is, anything you would cook in your indoor oven you want to use your plate setter. There are different configurations you can use with this setup. It all depends on what you are cooking. I did some pizzas tonight with the plate setter (legs up) and the grid with the extended grid attached, and the pizza stone on the raised grid. They turned out perfect! The best thing you can do is, when you get your new egg, post back here for help on any kind of setup.......

• Dynagreasebaoo,[p]There's some whole web pages in here too.
  • mike breedon, From all I've read and observed direct cooking is where you have the grill above the open bed of burning charcoal. When you put the platter, in either leg up or leg down position, you are cooking with indirect heat. This is modified somewhat according to temperature. For instance when you want to smoke ribs, etc. you probably won't use the platter. The low temperature will keep your ribs, etc. from being seared and the interior of your egg will be smoke filled. Direct heat is almost always used for searing meat, etc. at very high temperatures.