Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon on cedar planks

Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys,
I've decided to expand my horizons and try cooking some salmon steaks on cedar planks. I've never done this before so I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for temp., time and technique.
THANKS!!!!![p]

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Dawgtired,
    Love Salmon cooked on cedar planks. Never thought I would say that though. It just doesn't seem right, but it sure is good.[p]Soak your planks a long time. Four hours is good but if you're in a hurry you can get by with less (the wood just burns up quicker).[p]You really need good salmon, the fresher the better. Thick is good. Be sure to pull the bones out (usually takes tweezers).[p]Leave the skin on. Oil the skin side and the board (makes it stick less). A little oil on top of the Salmon is good because it helps to hold the seasoning on.[p]I used Dizzy Pig's Shaking The Tree, liberally.[p]MelissasSalmonCookingontheEgg.jpg[p]Cooked it direct at about 300° until the internal temp is 135° to 140° tops. [p]You will be pleased.[p]Spring "Salmon On The Egg Fan" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Spring Chicken,
    How strong of taste does the wood impart to the fish. I'm hesitant to try it. Good salmon runs top dollar down here in Ga.

• Spring Chicken,
    This is the info I needed...Thanks!!!! Do you flip the fish?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Big'un,
    Plank imparts a subtle flavor. Not overpowering at all. Plus it protects the fish.
    Bob

• Big'un
    bobbyb,
    Thanks, Is there something about cedar that makes it compliment salmon more than say, maple? I love cedar wood burning in a bonfire, but I wouldn't want cook on it. I guess my ignorance is showing through again.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Big'un,
    I prefer Alder. You might want to try a few different kinds of planks to find out which flavor you like.[p]It can also depend on how you put the plank on. You can take it out of the soak bath and put it with the salmon on directly into the egg or you can preheat the plank till it starts to smoke and then put your salmon.[p] This will give you a little heavier smoke but not a bad one. (Unless you really have the plank on fire) LOL
    Give it try,
    Bordello

• Dawgtired,
    No, don't flip it at all. Just wait 'til it's 135° internal and serve. [p]Spring "Easy Cook For Hard To Find Fresh Salmon" Chicken

• Big'un,
    The cedar flavor is definitely there but in a very complementary way. I would have never thought cedar would be good for smoking anything but I was wrong. In fact, you can also use the cedar for cooking other meats and vegetables. Try it, you'll like it.[p]Salmon is expensive here too. Cheap salmon tastes like cheap salmon. Find a good Salmon Pimp and go for it.[p]Spring "Made My Coop Out Of Cedar In Case There's A Fire" Chicken

• Big'un
    Bordello,
    Good to hear from you! Thanks for the info. I'm hopin' to taste some at Eggfest, and maybe that will quell my apprehensions. I just hate to ruin food!

• Big'un,
    I'm betting that cooking on a cedar plank originated from not having a grill or pan to cook it in. But now that folks have discovered the flavor cedar adds to salmon, it's a good way to cook.[p]And as Bordello mentioned, Alder wood makes for good smoking wood if you wish to use a more traditional method to cook your salmon.[p]As I said, it all starts with good salmon.[p]Spring "Salmon Goes Further Than Steak" Chicken

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Big'un,
    I fully understand, especially exspensive fish/meat.[p]My friend and his wife always go to cocktail lounge to try whatever kind of new alcohol they're interested in.
    They usually drink on the rocks or up, no mix. Better to spend a few extra bucks and the lounge and find out you Don't like it then to spend $50 to $100 and have a whole bottle sitting in your liquor cabinet.[p]Good Luck,
    Bordello