Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Its Friday night........

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
have a date with my BGE for a all nighter.
Went to the butcher shop today for weekend meat, BGE is great for the meat business. I got 2 boston butts cut fresh from the shoulder, cooking tonight for dinner tomorrow, and I also got a 1 1/2" sirloin steak for dinner tonight. I am going to try to trex it and then after I cook the steak I'm going to put the butts on. Question is after I cook the steak can I just add more lump on top of what I am using to trex the steak and still get good results with the low & slow, or should I just cook the steaks on the gasser and start the low & slow with a fresh load of lump?
Thanks
DB

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    dbishop,[p] "Cook the steaks on the gasser" Blasphemy. You'll have lots of lump left for the butts. The T-Rex method doesn't burn a lot because time is so short. It will take a while to get the temp down for low and slow.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    dbishop,
    What do you want? A gassed steak or a Trex steak? Yes, of course you can add lump after you cook the steak. Think of it as putting gas in your car.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    dbishop, just watch it a bit. After Trex-ing that steak the lump will be very hot. When you add more you really need to make sure you snuff out most of the air coming in or you will have a big blaze going on that you cannot bring down the temp on. Just as soon as you add the lump close that bottom vent to an 1/8 inch or smaller and just have a half-petal on the top vent. Then watch the temperature and make sure it goes down and stabilizes before you head off to bed.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Wise One,
    did you get your dock moved last weekend?[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Wise One,
    Thanks to all for the quick response. I'm trex'ing the steak then proceeding with caution.
    Thanks Again
    DB