Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spares Direct question!

Golfnut
Golfnut Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I always do my spares indirect at 210-225 grate until done,anywhere from 5 to 9 hours. And I don't flip them just turn them.
Today I am trying the direct method. I've got the Guru set at 225 grate and I'm flipping them and turning every 45 minutes.
Does this sound right?
How long should they take?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Gadgetman,[p]I've done whole spares direct. I haven't flipped them till the bones had begun to draw back, usually about 3 hours in, although I have turned them if there was a hot spot. After I flip, if the meat side is drying out, I start basting/mopping, and do them bone down for 30, meat down for 20.[p]The best I've had, though, were verticle in a rack. Those I spritzed every 30 minutes after the first 3 hours. They took about 6 hours total, and ended both tender andf crisp.

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    gdenby,
    I'm going to stop flipping for an hour or so. I've already flipped them three times. Bones not pulling back yet. They've been on for 2.5 hour now.
    I don't have a darn thing around here for spritzing except some Vernors or Coke. I wonder what that would be like??:-)
    I have a rack but I like them better laying flat.