Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

elder ward's pulled pork

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
getting ready to wow a bunch of egg doubters this weekend at the lsu/va tech tailgate with some boston butt.[p]been reading the Elder Ward tome' on pulled pork and i think that's the way i'm going to go. does anyone have any advice/experience between a low/slow vs higher temp cook on these.[p]I have 4- 5lb butts to cook for about 20 people and it needs to be ready to go by 9:00 am Saturday.[p]If I do a low/slow I'm guessing I need to allocate at least 18-20 hours for this smoke. I was going to start at 1:00 or so Friday afternoon, which (I hope) will give me enough time for this. [p]Also, If I fill the egg up to the top of the fire ring is that going to be enough wood for an 18 hour smoke?[p]thanks,[p]jon

Comments

• lsu egger,[p]I just did a nineteen hour brisket, 225F throughout, on my Medium... and had lump left over.[p]~ B[p]
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    lsu egger,
    In the beginning everyone wonders about this--how long will it take with several butts? Just figure it using the size of the biggest butt, in your case 5 lbs., so that's about 10 hours. DON"T add up the weights of all the butts, as they all cook at the same time...not one huge piece of meat weighing 20 lbs. (Could be a lot less than 10 hours, too.) Remember to keep air space around each of them and don't let them touch.[p]Good luck and let us hear how it turns out. [p]Judy

Judy in San Diego
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    lsu egger,
    An Egg filled with lump about 1/2 way up the fire ring (not the fire box, but the ring that sits on top of it) will burn at low and slow temps for up to 30 hours. So, you should have no problem unless you use Cowboy brand lump which isn't very dense. With four butts in there and if you go low and slow, you should probably allow for 2.5 hours per pound as your max time. This is per pound on your largest butt. Don't let them touch and they will cook in just a little more time than it would take to cook one of them. If they get done early, you can then wrap them in foil, then in beach towels, and then put them in a cooler. They will stay above 140 degrees for about 6-7 hours this way. You can then pull the pork when the time is right. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    lsu egger,[p]The only 'glitch' in this directions is the temp. Go for a dome temp of 250º easier to maintain and control. Read the posts below and have to say, Damn, we're good!