Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Med Well Sirloins

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok ok, I know some of you think it's heresy to cook a steak past medium rare but thats just the way we like em, medium to medium well. I haven't cooked a steak on the egg yet so I have nothing to reference from, this will be only me second cook on the egg, first was ribs. Any times/temps?[p]Thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    mb168,
    of all the ones least forgiving past medium, it's the sirloin. not too tender to start with.[p]anyway... don't forget. there are no special times or temps to the egg as compared to grilling on a gasser or briquettes.
    get a hot fire going, toss them on, sear to your liking, and be mindful of 'doneness'. times are no guide, because of differing thicknesses, meat temps (room temp? fridge temp?, etc.).[p]best thing is to get a good thermometer and pull your steaks off at >gulp< 150. they'll climb an extra 5 degrees or so on the plate too, so if you like them at 160, don't wait til 160.[p]i guarantee in time you will be eating them medium rare.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    mb168,
    the best way for consistansy is to get a thermapen, they are pricey but worth every penny. then cook a steak to 150 and see if its to your liking, then adjust up and down to zero in your tastes with the next steak. after you get the thermapen look for the trex method for cooking steaks. it seems pricy at first but think of all the agrivation you will save yourself from under and over cooked steaks

[ul][li]thermapen[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike,[p]Sorry guys. When I want raw I eat sushi. I don't mind it a little red in the middle but in a restaraunt you never know what their "medium" is. I find if I order Med Well, I "usually" get close to what I want which can vary anywhere from Medium to burnt dry edges still yet somehow still have red blood coming out of it. I've been cooking with gas for years and do sirloins usually at 400-450 according to my grill's gauge and can do the finger poke to judge where I want it (I never pierce the meat until time to eat.) I guess I'll have to try that still, yet resist the urge to flip the lid as often until I get it down. I've only done the low slow rib thing so far, just got the XL egg Sunday, so I'm ready for beef.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    mb168,
    if you can go by touch, then you don't have anything to learn, really.[p]you are right though, it will take a little time to guess when the right time is to open and check it.[p]for what it's worth, try doing it at 400-450 like always.[p]super high sears have there place, but there are about 20 ways to cook a steak! if you are bound and determined to go high temp, just give it 90 seconds a side and test. really, you want to maybe Trex them, if they are thick. that is 700+ for 90 seconds (or as you like the sear), then take them off, choke the egg to 400, and put them back on (takes maybe 10 minutes to drop to 400 if you weren't at 700+ for too long). the second part of the cook is a roast, to 'done'. flip once, maybe after two to three minutes a side.[p]i prefer steaks pink/red and a little warm in the center, not purple/cold. 135 by the thermapen.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • big d
    Options
    mb168, I am used to cooking to med-well due to wife wont touch her steak if it even looks pink. So stoke the fire to about 400-450 degrees. throw steaks on for 2 1/2 mins. then flip. 2 1/2 more mins. flip again and close up top & bottom. five mins. then flip for 1 min while preping the cold beverage & grabbing steak platter just to make othe side nice & hot again. let rest for 5-10 min. this would be the time of eating small salad or some of the veggies.

• fishlessman,[p]Those are nice, are they that much better than the $30 BGE instant read thermometer? I have one of the kitchen store leave in we use for ham and turkey (in the oven til now ha ha) but its probably a little slow.