Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PING: Ribs On $ Photo

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
<a href=
<p />Well, as the old saying goes, you get what you paid for. I purchased some spare ribs over the weekend for $1.95 a pound. They were passable, but certainly not the best cut of meat. Cooked them at 250 to 300 for 4 1/2 hours using apple juice in the drip tray and apple wood chips on the fire. The rub was Spice Lick from nearby Dripping Springs. One other piece of advice, follow the directions with the SL Rub. This is a "hot" rub and too much is overpowering. I want to cook using this same method again, but will use Rudy's rub or my own concoction next time, baby back ribs and revise the temperature. Would take any advice on temperature for indirect cook.

Comments

• Eager Egger
    Options
    ResizeofE85G5076.jpg
    <p />Here's the photo
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    Are you sure that your temperature is correct?They kind of look dried out and I don't see any bone sticking out.

• Darnoc, Yes, I am sure on the temperature. It was 250 for the most part and only at 300 near the end. They read 160 or better on an instant read thermometer. You are right they were very dry. I usually let them pull back on the bone about 3/8's of an inch. These would have burned up by that time. Agree though that something went haywire.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    Did you spritz them after a couple of hours?

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    EagerEggeer,
    Looks like a foil wrap with some apple juice after the first three hours may have helped.Plus mop them down with some sauce at the end.Perhaps if you rubbed them down with a rub that had to much salt and set for to long that could have dried them out a tad.

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Richard, Poured some apple juice over them :-) I have cooked ribs many times before on my Longhorn (cast iron) smoker and they came out fine using this method. In my short experience with the BGE, things come out much more moist than they did on the old smoker. This is certainly an exception.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    im kinda thinking you didnt cook them long enough, 190 plus internal. mine never go under 6 hours and usually a little longer with a slightly lower cooking temp. did you gage doneness with the tooth pick test or floppi bending test where they almost want to break apart.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    fishlessman, Hmmmmm. I am thinking your right. These were extemely thick, something I am not use to with ribs and a lot of fahita meat. Basically I am going to purchase better ribs in the future. Do you think 225 to 250 is a good temperature? It worked fine on the smoker, but the Egg is a bit different.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    250 is fine for an inderect setup like you have. someone on the forum said years ago to cook them til they look done, and then cook them one more hour, it takes a few cooks to figure out what to look for, and those ribs look like they are meaty which is a good thing with ribs.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    fishlessman, Thanks, I do think you and the others who replied hit on the problem. I love to cook, but sure have a lot more to learn. With the smaller ribs, I can tell better by looking at the end of the bones. I just need to write this one off to experience and move on. With the rub, I just plain used way to much.

• EggspertMN
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    Are these the ribs we were talking about yesterday? hmmm.. Don't look like a failure. The worst thing that happened is you learned something. [p]One thing I might do, if I'm reading this picture correctly, is to cut off all of the cartilage making a St.Louis cut of ribs. This way the ribs are more uniform. You do this by putting the rack on the board membrane side up. feel at the bottom of the bone where the cartilage starts. then with a sharp knife, slice along the bottom of the bones, taking off all the ribcage cartilage. save this. I like to debone this and cook it along with my ribs. but you can use it for stock or Fajitas or what ever. Now your Ribs are more uniform for even cooking, and the membrane is much easier to peel off. then rub em up, let em set a spell, and cook em and enjoy. I don't usually use a spray, but I do take em off when they are near done and srap them in foil. This will make them a little bit more tender. When I'm ready to eat, get the BGE hot brush your favorite bbq sauce on them, and cook over the open fire for just a few minutes until the sauce carmelizes, repeat on the other side.[p]Perhaps taking them off at this stage and putting them in foil for an hour or two might have helped a lot with your tenderness and dryness issue.

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    CWMRibs02.jpg
    <p />EagerEgger,[p]Where did you get them? I bought the 'unfrozen' (never frozen) ones at HEB (620/brushcreek). I bought 2 slabs (cryovac) with an expiration of of like 9/16 so i have some time. I'll probably do them this weekend.[p]From what I've collected, I'll probably go with the 3/1/1 method (or close to it) via thirdeye and car wash mike.[p]Let me know what you discover, I'd appreciate it.[p](Picture via thirdeye's recipe page)[p]-Jeeves[p]
    [ul][li]http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html[/ul]
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    Jeeves,Now these look more like the ribs I am use to buying! Gonna get more picky :-) I bought mine at the HEB Whistone (1431) and Parmer. Usually get OK products there, these just a bit think and ugly :-)
    Mike

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]Yeah, I'm learning how to get picky - I found one brisket (that I approved off) and huge butt on Saturday night..[p]I just stay away from the previously frozen.[p]Now, if you have a membership, I heard that Sam's are pretty good, even though they sell them in a 3-pack.[p]If you don't have a membership and want to check them out, we can meet over at La Frontera
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    EggspertMN, I agree with your thoughts and don't think I spent the time prepring this meat as I should. Basically I work from my home office. I got the grill going at lunch and quickly put the ribs on, then back to work. They certainly needed to be trimmed up and watched more closely. During the week, I am going to do items that you can put on at 4 or 5 in the evening and they can be done by 6pm.