Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE Hinge Issues

Options
hank
hank Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently regasketed and basically did an overhaul and tune up of my Egg. Here's what I am seeing:

I took the whole rig apart and cleaned it up. Put the hinge on the lower half, tightened the band but loosened (to finger loose) all of the bolts on the hinge unit itself. I seated the dome squarely on the bottom unit and tightened the band for the dome. With bands seated and tight, I then proceeded to tighten down all of the hinge bolts. And I mean I put my back into it. Now, when I lift the dome and lower it, it comes down slightly off to the left in front with a 2-credit-card width gap across the back.

Not a big deal, as she cooks as well as ever, but I am losing a little smoke in the back. Is this a warped hinge? Am I "over-tightening" (should I leave some of the hinge bolts looser?)

Hank