Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Comfort food...

Options
Basscat
Basscat Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is a cook from last week, my favorite Egged comfort food. Great meatloaf makes an incredible sandwich....
MeatLoafSand.jpg[p]And the Egg makes great meat loaf![p]MeatLoafsmall.jpg

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Basscat,
    That looks awesome! I'd be full of comfort too if I knew I was going to eat that(noone else would be though..HEE). Ok..you gotta share the recipe! forum rules, you know.LOL.
    Big'un

• Basscat
    Options
    Big'un,
    "Recipe" is easy, and fairly healthy. Saute in olive oil half an onion, half a red and/or green pepper, a carrot or two, celery if it's handy, and a couple handfuls of chopped spinach or kale. After all of the above is soft and cooled a bit, I mix it with about a pound each of ground turkey, veal and buffalo (or whatever you prefer) and mix in enough pasta sauce (I use Muir Glenn Organic Sun Dried Tomato) until the mix is soft but not too wet, and mold in a plastic wrap-lined loaf pan, and rest a while. Egg is set up with platesetter and drip pan, 350ish, and BBQ Guru Hol-e Smokes silicone grids. Turn out loaf and cook until 160 internal temp. Cool a while and slice. Sorry, I don't measure, and that's as close as I get to a recipe;) Comes out really good with the smokey cook on the Egg.

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Basscat,
    Thanks for the recipe. I've already copied and pasted it to my archives. I usually add mushrooms to my meatloaf, but now I will also add spinach(I would never have thought of that.) It really does look incredible! Thanks again.Enjoy!
    Big'un

• Basscat,
    Man This looks great. I'm on my way to the Grocery store to get the stuff. I'm on a low carb Diet and this will be great, no oatmeal or crackers.
    Thanks
    DB

• Basscat
    Options
    dbishop,
    Hope it works for you, it's one of my favorites. The veg seems to hold things together, and I don't miss the oatmeal/bread/cracker crumbs or the eggs of the more traditional methods. Forgot to mention in the recipe that I also mix some of the tomato sauce with some honey and brush on for a glaze after the loaf has firmed up (45 minutes or so into the cook, which usually goes 1.5-2 hours).
    Enjoy!