Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL and Plater Setter

Options
BYC
BYC Posts: 358
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been experimenting with various ways to improve on the XL and plate setter. Many of you us are not happy with the design whereby the platesetter goes in between the firebox and firering. I've lost far too many fire on slow cooks. I know who cares! OKAY soooo I've substituted Sandbaggers extender ring for the ceramic fire ring and believe it or not those 2 inches or so makes a HUGE difference. Atlanta you could build a better mouse trap with a shorter height fire ring and a plate setter with 2 inches or so more height or feet. Just my .02

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    BYC,[p] Would work for me :)
  • Metalhead
    Options
    BYC,
    Talking about the XL platesetter....unless I misheard the guy at the muddership.....he told a potential buyer that the reason the legs are so short is that w/longer legs the mass of the ceramic across the diameter of the platesetter was 'causing the platesetters to break...that that was the reason for the stubby legs.[p]If I did mis hear this...I will disenvoy any knowledge of this post.[p]This post will self destruct in 86,400 seconds or 24 hours whichever comes first.[p]Jan

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    BYC,
    hey daviv where you been haven't seen you round here lately...[p]
    sorry i don'gt have a xl so i can't comment on your setup..[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    BYC, so the set up I sent you works for not, I'm confused.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BYC
    Options
    tjv,[p]YES!! In fatc, it works better than what is available from Atlanta. Was the factory firering the same measurements as your XL extender and the feet on the factory plate setter a little longer I would be all good. Just do not like the way the platesetter sits inbetween the ring and box so I replaced the ring with your extender and placed the platesetter on that I will send you some pics of my setup piece-milling your stuff to the desired config

• BYC
    Options
    BENTE,[p]Been spending far to much time in VA and working for a "little" 3 letter company that has consumed all of my egging time. I am now however back in the great state of South Carolina and loving every minute of today's beautuful weather!! GO TIGERS and Gamecocks!![p]I also have the WG lump so let me know if you're in need.[p]Hapy Labor Day Bente!

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    BYC,
    well we are happy to have you back.. i agree go gamecocks but i'm gonna hafta say go NOLES!! haha i love living around tiger fans[p]will let you know on the WG i got 4 bags here now but low on the RO gotta make a atlanta run soon...[p]
    happy labor day eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb