Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how long to cook two small butts?

Options
mike
mike Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
having some family for a get together on monday. mom dropped off two butts one weighs 4 lbs and the other is 5 lbs. never cooked any that were this small. any thoughts on what the expected cooking time might be? of course i know each cut has its own time to cook, but has anyone had experience with butts so small? would appreciate any thoughtful input.

Comments

• mike, I haven't cooked any that small either, but I've always heard that 2 hours a pound is a good rule of thumb. Twere it I, I would start at least ten or eleven hours before time to eat, and assuming they will be done sooner, plan on wrapping them in foil and holding them in a warm cooler with newspapers/blanket or something wrapped around them. Just my two cents. I cook butts at 250* dome temp and that works well for me.

• KS Cheryl
    Options
    mike,
    I just did a 4.69 lb butt Monday and it took about 13 hrs on my small. Cheryl

• KS Cheryl, just curious, at what temp did you cook the 4.69 lb butt? I'm surprised it took that long.