Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Recipes

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found a cool site for D/O recipes on the MACA web page. These are for camp ovens, the ones with legs. With a little practice you can learn how to Egg with the D/O in the coals while you're finishing off a brisket or shoulder up on the grid. Camp dutch oven recipes specify using briquettes so there ends up being a little guesswork to approximate the right amount of lump if you try this method, but the most important thing to remember is that you only need a few hot coals beneath the oven. Most of the cooking is done by the heat from the coals on the lid.

Comments

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Betcha thought that I was gonna keep it all to myself, didn'cha?
    [ul][li]Dutch Oven Recipes [/ul]
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    It's not that I like talking to myself but I did cringe when I checked out the Baked Beans recipe and saw that it called for 2 - 30 oz cans of pork and beans. Kinda like opening up a seafood cookbook and the Homemade Clam Chowder calls for 12 oz milk and one 12 oz can of Snow's Clam Chowder.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Usually we bake our own beans and I agree with you wholeheartedly but several months ago the better half and I somehow got behind in our timing for a family cook of pulled pork. My baked bean recipt is an old family one and they come out like B&M (made in Maine and maybe the best baked beans in the world!. So I did the unthinkable, I opened two large cans of B&M's, dumped them in the bean pot, stuck the little puppy in the oven and they (my children and grandchildren) never knew the difference! They shoveled down the pulled pork, cole slaw and the beans making contented noises all the way!
    Still not the same as far as I'm concerned thoug and will always try to prepare the REAL THING!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Sundown,[p]That's excellent to hear about the contented noises made during the consumption of the beans. What I worry about, though, are those other "noises" that are often produced after the consumption of beans...[p]Ready for the weekend,
    Cornfed

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Before that starts they all go home! And it's just me and the Little Woman so it isn't too bad!
    The hard part is when they start to fight over what's left. They want to take home everything! Usually there isn't too much of that but I wish I could keep enough PP to make me happy for a few days.