Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WIng temp & time

Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was scrolling through some wing cook temps and times and thought I would ask for a little more feedback from forum. Majority call for a cook time of 1 to 1.5 hrs with a temp anywhere from 275-350. This seems quite a long time. I have always done mine at 300 for 15 min a side and they come out perfect. Now I'm wondering if there is any benefit to cooking longer. I guess I could try, but I'd thought I'd ask the pros.....
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Wardster,
    I like them at 250-275 for about 45 minutes. They really don't seem to dry out, and I like them browned nicely, but not charred. ChefRD's breaded recipe is my favorite, and this method works beautifully for them. I do it the same way with the non-breaded version. The lower temps also seem to allow for more even browning....by allowing time to move the pieces around to utilize the hotspots. Plus the temps seem to climb anyway with the added time that the lid is opened during flippage.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wardster,
    I like wings with a variety of different rubs and finishing sauces. Bone Suckin brand hot mustard is a favorite. Similar to Nature Boy, I cook at 250-300 for 45 minutes or so.
    One thing I do that is quite handy: (I'm not sure who I stole this idea from) I set two 2"X2" pieces of fire brick across from each other at the edges of the BGE grate.I have two extra 16 inch grill tops. I put the wings on one that is sitting on the bricks. When it's time to turn, I put my oven mitts on, I place the other grill on top of the wings,press them together lightly. Then I can flip them all quickly. It's really handy when you're doing 40-50 at a time. In addition to saving the tedium, you control temperature better by not having the Egg open as long.

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Irish Smoker,
    Hi buddy,glad to see you back on line.Say hello to the family. Bob

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=36405255&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />Wardster,[p]I'm with NB. 250/275 is just obout perfect IMHO. A little trick I do that keeps your temp and flame down while flippage is shut that bottom vent. You can then take as much time as needed without that nagging flame lickin them wangs....... Works like a champ. Like NB says flip em' around as to take advantage of the "hot spots". Normally I set the ones that are done way off to the side, actually sitting over the rim of the firebox. Keeps em' from cookin and allows you to take them all off at the same time. Or you can just munch on those if you wish.[p]Picture is with Chef RD's recipe......Yummy!!!!!!![p]Mick