Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe for Red Beans and Rice

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a request, so here it is.[p]Enjoy,
RhumAndJerk[p]

[ul][li]Louisiana Red Beans and Rice[/ul]

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, Great looking recipe. I made a batch of smoked tasso two weeks ago from the Lodge cast iron site, and used it in a similar dish as yours, good stuff and simple to make. I use a cajun spice blend from Penzeys to complement the dish with added heat. Another cook for persons to try for a little spice (variance) in their cooking.
    Thanks---Painter[p]

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    That looks WAY too complicated. Here's what I do:
    Soak 1 pound red kidney beans for at least 30 mins to an hour. Drain
    In a large stock pot fill 2/3 with water, add beans. To that add black pepper and salt to taste; 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper; 10 bay leafs; large onion in quarters(celery and bell peppers optional). Bring to rolling boil for 30 mins, cover, then reduce heat to medium. Add more water and stir as needed. After another an hour or so, when the beans start to become soft, with large spoon, mash some of the beans against the inside of the pot. Stir and add more water. Add 1 lb. smoked sausage.
    Keep checking as the beans will start to thicken/cream.
    Serve over white rice.

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Shelby,
    Something that was taught to me a long time ago about any dried bean: Rinse thoroughly in a colander, remove any loose chaff and soak overnight (at least 12 hours) covering with 2 inches of cold water. Drain, rinse again under cold running water and soak for another hour and rinse again. This will remove the naturally occuring enzymes from the bean that give us that wonderful little gasto-intestinal discomfort song.[p]"Beans, beans, they're good for your heart,
    the more you eat the more you fart,
    the more you fart, the better you feel,
    and then you're ready for another meal."[p]Followed this method for years and haven't had to sing that song since I was a kid, although I do make a point to teach it to my nieces and nephews as the rest of my family still prefers gas from a can.