Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food saver bags

Options
RAK
RAK Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally joined the rest of you smart Eggers and got a Food Saver. Don't know when I have had more fun-sorta tells you what my life is like, doesn't it:-) I am quickly running out of bags, and being a bit tight in the purse, I went to my local meat cutter. He has a large commercial vacuum machine. I asked if he would sell me some of his bags. He told me I can buy as many as I want at 8 cents each!! That sure beats .25 and .50. I tried one out and it works perfectly. Thought I would pass it on to the rest of you. Ruth

Comments

• Rak,[p]Thanks for that tidbit....we'll have to check in out in our area![p]Kaye
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Rak,
    Don't forget mason jars. I vacuum tons of stuff in them.
    The straight sided jars are freezer safe and re-usable.
    Good stuff.
    Chuck

• So with this FoodSaver contraption, you can vacuum seal
    just about anything? What if I had a dutch oven full of
    something like, say chile verde. Could I vacuum seal the whole thing, dutch oven and all---after it cooled of course--to be re-heated later? At 8-cents a bag, seems like a good deal. This BGE thing beats cast iron multi-fold!! And then FoodSaver! Yikes!!!!!

• Q-Ball,
    You can foodsaver that wet stuff. You freeze it in a container, pop it out, then foodsaver it. Just put it in a pot of boiling water to reheat it.

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Ken Huckeba,[p]Another way to vacuum seal sauces, chili, other liquids is the method that Mrs. Puj uses. She'll dump the remaining liquid into a vacuum seal bag and seal it, just like one would seal an open bag of potato chips. She places the sealed bag into the freezer for approximately 2 to 3 hours. This amount of elapsed time is normally sufficient to achieve a "soft freeze" of the liquid.[p]After the soft freeze, she'll cut the bag open and vacuum seal the contents. Works like a charm.[p]Puj
  • Puj
    Options
    Rak,[p]If you have a membership to either Sam's or Costco's, go and look for the bags. Both clubs carry the bags from time to time and at very good prices.[p]Puj
  • Puj
    Options
    All,[p]Forgot two additional benefits of this method ...[p]1) you can thaw the liquid in the bag and place it in boiling water to reheat[p]2) you can wash the bag when done and reuse it.[p]Puj
  • Rak,[p]I'd like to have any info you have on those 8 cents a piece bags.[p]Thanks,[p]Kurt