Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Is a butt roast what I need for pulled pork?

I ordered (2) 4# boston butts for tomorrows dinner. Got them home and the packages said boneless butt roast. I think it should be fine, butt I need confirmation from the experts. Also it was tied like a roast, should I leave it tied or cut the string off.[p]Thanks all[p]JBC

Comments

• JBC,[p]You do have a boston butt. I copied and pasted the following from a web page:[p]JUST SO YOU KNOW
    Boston butt = Boston roast = pork butt roast = pork shoulder Boston butt = Boston-style shoulder =
    Boston shoulder = Boston-style butt = fresh pork butt

• Kevin D.,[p]Thanks Kevin, 4 minutes was along time to wait for the answer...[p]JBC
  • BamabobBamabob Posts: 246
    JBC,
    You got the right stuff,it'll be great.When I get one already roped up,I just leave the string on unless I want to open it up to add some special goodie. Good luck. Bob

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,399
    JBC,
    A bone-in butt will give you better results. The boneless ones are okay though...just not nearly as good. It will cook much faster for you. I have only cooked one boneless version. I would recommend taking it out of the net, unrolling it, rubbing with your rub, then roll it up and shove it back in. Then smoking.[p]Enjoy it...and try a bone-in for your next one!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings