Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach Cobbler Disaster

Options
bsfd806
bsfd806 Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After seeing all the post lately of cobblers I decided to give one a try.[p]I had the egg set up and steady at 375, I cooked pork chops first, when they were done I put the cobbler on. All the "smoke" had already burned off. [p]The recipe I followed was posted last week and said to cook for 30-40 mins. At 35 mins, the dough was still not beginning to brown. After 1 hour, it begin to burn on the edges, but the center was still not browning.[p]I finally gave up on it. When I tasted it, it had a very "Grilled" taste.[p]Any suggestions on what I might have done wrong?[p]TIA

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    bsfd806,
    did you have it set direct, right on the grill with the coals below?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bsfd806
    bsfd806 Posts: 24
    Options
    stike,[p]Oops...It was indirect on inverted plate setter.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    bsfd806,
    indirect was the correct way to go. . . baking it at 375 dome temp for an hour should have been sufficient. .. . any smokey taste was due to still having some wood and/or grease from the pork chops ... with fruit and 'bread' (in your case crust), you really need a clean egg and fire to avoid any nasty flavors from being absorbed. ..[p]maybe you need to check the calibration on your dome temp thermometer (stick it in a cup of boiling water and make sure it reads 212 - if not, adjust with a pair of pliers on the 'nut' on the back side of the thermometer) ...

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    bsfd806,
    as max said, indirect was the way to go.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Thermal Mass
    Options
    You could put your cobbler directly on the preheated plate-setter (feet down) so that the batter cooks from bottom to top as well as top to bottom.[p]Also, make sure the butter is completely melted before pouring the batter on.[p]Mark

• bsfd806,
    I have found that any of the "baking" dishes I do, always takes about 1 1/2 to twice the length of baking time. My new rule of thumb is not to watch the clock...watch and temp the food. And, be patient.[p]Kim

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    bsfd806,
    That was not a Disaster, 9/11 was a Disaster, that was simply a tragedy!

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    bsfd806,[p]Made it last weekend and mine was a "tragedy" also. After all the raves, I thought it would be good. didn't work for me.