Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Spatchcock Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there any advantage to cooking the whole chicken the spatchcock way as opposed to just cooking two halves of chicken? Just curious. You all have been so good at answering my rookie questions.

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    100_0092.jpg
    <p />garwig, cutting down the breast bone could expose to much of the breast and cause it to dry out. It's easy to separte the two breasts after the cook, as you removed the keel bone when spatchcocking the bird. [p]It's easy to separate the white and dark after the cook. Heck, it usually happens to me when I grab the legs and try lifting the whole bird off the egg.[p]
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    tjv,
    You obviously need to design a new stainless steel spatchcock chicken rack to aid in removal of the bird, lol![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Like he does not have one...LOL
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Revolution
    Revolution Posts: 130
    Options
    Photo Egg,[p]I can't remember if you use indirect or direct method. How long for the cook?[p]Thanks,
    -Charlie

• tjv
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, the two hand removal method is a down home test for crispy skin......While picking up the bird, if it snaps up and hits you in the face, the skin needs a little more time.....
  • tjv
    Options
    Revolution, start raised grid, direct, skin side down for 5-10 minutes to get skin rendering or crisping, then flip, temp 350-400ish. The higher in the dome you can go, the hotter you can go. Then just watch the bottom side of the bird so see if an indirect piece is needed. Little smoke is good, pecan, oak or cherry. [p]About 45 minutes into the cook, you should here sizzling, as the skin is rendering. Total cook time is 60-75 minutes. If you don't hear the skin sizzle, the temp needs to be higher next time. Use an indirect piece to offset the potential to burn the bottom with higher temps. I take the internal temp of the bird to mid 160s, white and dark.[p]Dang between this thread and Chubby's spatchcock turkey, I need a poultry fix.
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    tjv,
    Reminds me I have a 5# duck w/ head and feet that might be good spatchcocked. Must be poultry day.