Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe Request/ Venison

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new "egg" user with a few packages of venison in the freezer, "backstraps', tenderloins and a couple of roasts. Can someone advise me on marinades, cooking temp, wood chips, etc. I would like to do all of it at once for a Labor Day BBQ Event. Any reply appreciated.

Comments

• Allen,
    You have described 3 different cuts of venison, so you really don't want to cook them all at once or the same way.[p]Venison is almost totally fat free so you need to be careful or it will dry out while cooking. I can't recommend any specific marinade, but here is how I like to cook the 3 cuts you mentioned.[p]Tenderloins: If what you are calling tenderloin is the small thin muscle that is on the inside of the backbone they are very delicate. I cut them into small medallions and saute them in olive oil with onions and a little salt and pepper.[p]Roasts: I like to cook in a slow cooker crock pot with mushroom soup mix, onion powder, and a little white wine. I would not cook these on the egg.[p]Backstraps: I treat these like a filet mignon. I slice them about 1 1/2 inches thick and wrap with bacon. Then sear them on the egg at about 600 degrees just a couple minutes per side. you may have to partially precook the bacon if the slices are thick.[p]I have never been able to cook the roasts or tenderloin on the egg without drying the meat out.[p]Good Luck with whatever you try.

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    Allen, there are probably a hundred different recipes on venison in the archives. The simple approach if small cook quick and rare. If large (roast), marinade and cook like any roast. I remember that J appledog had a good one hopefully this is it:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2001/messages/96336.htm. If you need more just let us know. I did one a couple of years ago and sent it to Mad Max, unfortunately did not save and am too lazy to retype. The marinade was whiskey and took a couple of weeks !! But it was awesome. Maybe he kept it but I doubt it once he saw 2 weeks. Forget about it, who has refigerator space for that long. If you really want it, I'll try and figure out the scan on my old printer. I also know that "YB" has a few good recipes that I saw posted.

• Allen,[p]Try this marinade for venison.[p]3/4 C olive oil
    1/3 C balsalmic vinegar
    3 T soy sauce
    2 T dijon mustard
    1 T basil
    1 T thyme
    1 T red pepper flakes
    3 cloves minced garlic.[p]I usually marinate venison tenderloins 6 - 12 hours and cook indrect at 300 degrees until 125 degree internal. This usually only takes about 30 - 45 minutes.