Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Longest unattended cook yet (for me)

Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a monster pork butt at my butcher - 10.5 lbs boneless - on Saturday afternoon. Fired up the Egg at about 5:00 in the afternoon and had a nice steady indirect set-up going by 5:30. Headed over to a friend's house for dinner at about 7 - when I left things were going great and I planned to check when I got home. Let's just say I was a tad "overserved" and dinner and conked out on the couch when I got home (forgetting to check on the butt). Woke up (with a headache) to the baby crying at 6 AM - thought "Oh Sh#t" and went running out to the patio. Nobody had LAID EYES on the Egg for 11 hours! I was stunned to find a little wisp of blue smoke coming out of the top and the temp gauge locked right on at 235. Internal probe read 160. I didn't have to do a thing! Took it off at 2 pm with an internal of 193, wrapped in foil, coolered the beast and had some hellaciously good eats for dinner. Foodsaved the considerable leftovers and will be toting them to the beach next week.[p]They certainly don't all go this well, so I must have been living right last week.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Cornbread Willy,[p]Good fortune! If all the cooks could go so well. I've gotten better at even fires, but still rouse myself just to be sure a gremlin hasn't gotten to the coals. [p]gdenby
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Cornbread Willy,
    Good for you.You had yourself a good fire.I always start out fresh on a long one,Fresh large hunks on the bottom and gradually build your way up and never any neeed to worry.