Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Refrigerator Pickles

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Saw the recipe a few weeks ago and can't seem to find it now. Would someone be so kind as to repost. Thanks

Comments

• Brunomax,
    I'm answering for Randy..he's in the air returning from Omaha. So this may be wrong info. He gets his prepackaged spices from Sportsman Warehouse...a brand called Mrs.Wages. You just add water,vinegar etc and boil and pour over the cukes and refrigerate. They're pretty tasty.[p]Kim

• MrsAZRP,
    I have a recipe for refrigerater dills we been useing for years.
    Its called Scott County Refrigerater Pickles.
    this won fist place at the Scott County,Iowa Fair several years ago.
    7 cups of finely sliced cucumbers
    1 cup of finely sliced onion
    2 tablespoons of canning salt
    stir
    let set one hour
    Brine:
    1 cup of white vinegar
    1 tablespoon of celery seed
    1 tablespoon of mustard seed
    2 cups of sugar
    Pour brine over pickles and let set another hour, put in jars (qts/pts) and refrigerate.
    tell you what, these are hard to beat. They last forever in the fridge and don't require any cooking, etc.[p]

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Brunomax,We have done several batches so far this year and got several recipes on google.com use for search (refrigerator pickles). We tried both sweet and dill. GOOD STUFF AND QUICK AND EASY
    Gerry

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Brunomax,
    I think what you saw a few weeks ago was the reference of Jalapeno pepper in tuna on July 30.Thirdeye made mention of a bread and butter jalapeno that he makes and I made the comment that really sounds neat.I made reference to The Frugal Gormet's bread and butter pickles that I have done for years and substitute the little green peppers instead of cukes.

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    CherryCoke & Smoke,
    how long 'til you can start piggin' out on these pickles?[p]and are they real sweet?[p]Jan

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    95bd6945.jpg
    <p />Brunomax,[p]I use the Mrs Wages Refrigerator dill and bread & butter pickle mixes too. But I do a lot more than just pickled cucumbers....they now have a green bean and vegetable mix, both refrigerator mixes. I own some of each, just have not tried them yet.[p]Here is a link to a product review article I wrote for TCC last December about Mrs Wages.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Picking A Pickle[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Glad you picked up on that.

• Brunomax,
    here's a recipe i've used for several years for "plain old" dill pickles. best taste with fresh dill, which you may be lucky enough to have in your garden, or find at a farmer's market. otherwise you'll need to use dill seeds[p]6 cups water (hard water may lead to cloudiness in the pickle juice over time, but won't compromise the food safety)
    6 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
    2/3 cup canning/pickling salt[p]combine water, vinegar, and salt, and warm just enough to dissolve the salt, then cool to room temp.[p]prepare jars and lids--i use quart canning jars, but you could use any glass jars you happen to have since you won't be processing in a water bath. i run the jars thru the dishwasher on hottest cycle to clean them again after storage. they won't be "sterile" but they'll be plenty clean and the vinegar will take care of the few bugs left behind. put the lids into simmering water.[p]for quart jars: put a couple of large garlic cloves and 12-18 peppercorns, along with a couple of heads of fresh dill (or 2 TB dill seeds) into each jar.[p]pack the jars as full as you can with small pickling cucumbers, or if the cukes are large, cut them into spears and remove the seeds.[p]add the water/vinegar/salt solution to the jars to about 1/4 inch from the top. screw on the lids. place in the fridge.[p]will taste pretty good after 2 weeks. the books say to use within a couple of months, but i've found that the 50/50 vinegar water keeps the pickles food safe for much longer. eventually, the pickles will get somewhat mushy, then it's time to wait for next gardening season!

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Kosher garlic dill pickles [p]Description: If you ever enjoyed these New York style delli pickles, now you can make them at home in a few days & have them with your pastrami or smoked turkey sandwhiches

Ingredients: 12 pickling cucumbers
    4 cloves garlic sliced
    2 teaspoon pickling spices
    4 cups water
    4 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 bunch fresh dill

Instructions:
    mix the water with the salt till dissoved(brine solution). make more brine solution 1T per cup water if needed
    wash & cut off the ends of the cucumbers.
    arrange some dill & some garlic in the bottom of a deep pyrex dish.
    place the cucumbers on top with pickling spices.
    add the rest of the dill & garlic.
    pour the brine solution over the cucumbers to cover completely (use a heavy plate to weigh down)
    3-5 days the pickles are done [ half pickled, but will continue to get more sour]
    place in the refrigerator and enjoy with your meals.

note: any white layer forming on top of the brine is to be removed.

• Metalhead,
    Jan, you dont have to wait long.and we make enuff to last all winter,always a big hit at partys.
    I think you'll love them!