Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what kind of roast

Options
Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im going to do a roast of some sort this afternoon for tonights supper, doing on medium green egg, what kind would be the best,mama and the kid like things that arent mooing still, so what would be the best roast to do , Tederloin and striploin roasts are on sale this week, here in st thomas, would those be good[p]Thanks in advance[p]Steve

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    steve,
    It's tough to go wrong with tenderloins. Cut'em into filets 1 3/4- 2 inches thick. Bacon wrap and then Trex them. I would gladly trade you beef for some of the seafood your island has to offer. How is it living in paradise?

• Steve
    Options
    Big'un,Not the st thomas you are thinking of, I wish The closest lake we have only has pearch and sheep head in it. I ended up buying the Tenderloin whole , I want to slow cook it whole like a roast is that smart or should I go buy something else and cut this bad boy up for steaks.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    P1010044.jpg
    <p />steve,[p]This is eye of round. It does not hold a candle to the tenderloin suggestion, but is a good change and makes a good hot or cold roast beef sandwitch (sliced thin ... better on a meat slicer).
    I do recommend some au jou sauce and eat French Dip style on a roll! [p]
    1839aa0e.jpg
    [p]Smokey
  • Steve
    Options
    Smokey, any suggestions on how to prepare my tenderloin and how long it might take, again wife doesnt eat pink meat she likes hers done, maybe she can eat the small end.[p]Suggestions anyone[p]Steve

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    steve,[p]I think I covered in olive oil, added some rub (Dizzy Pig of coarse), wrapped it in plastic wraped and into the fridge over night. I did take it out 20-30 minutes before cooking to let it get closer to room temp. This step isn't really needed in my opinion, but if you have the time, it is worth it![p]Then, I seared the outside maybe a minute per side, then rolled it to sear another side! There are alot of sides, mine was round, except for one end![p]After all sides had good color, I just closed the vents and kept in the egg for 15 minutes or so. I think it was 135-140 degrees in the center when I pulled it off, but that is a guess (we like meat a bit pink)! You can go a bit longer. I also think you are right, the center will be more rare than the outside![p]Please post your results![p]Smokey[p]
  • Steeler Fan
    Options
    steve, do it the Solomon method. I mean take a small cut from one end and cook it medium (should solve your wife's wish. Cut the ones in the middle into steak and the other end cook it the way you like it. Win Win. The other option is to freeze the steaks in the middle, get some dry ice, put in a cooler and ship to me. hehehe. Not sure how long you have been cooking on the egg, but an eye of round injected gives a very juicy raost.