Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help: I have mold?

Options
michael
michael Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for about a year and over the last few weeks have developed a serious problem with mold. I have burned it out three different times and each time it comes back stronger. Anyone have any ideas on how to beat this? I live in Southern Alabama. NEEEEDDDDD HEEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!!

Comments

• Chrispy Bob
    Options
    Michael,
    If you are near enough to you house, hang a 60 watt light bulb in the egg when not in use.[p]CB

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Michael,
    just keep firing up that egg the more you use the less problem you have...[p]some have suggested to fire up the egg to 500 and all the mold will die(or whatever mold does). it is also my understanding that if you have the problem just keep it in mind so the next time you have to do a low and slow just to make sure you do a spatchcooked chicken or a steak or burgers the night before..[p]sorry if this does not fully solve your problem[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Michael,[p]
    You can put of dry ice in the egg, close the vents and the mold will die and fall off. Then run a burn in the egg. Don't use a whole lot of dry ice or you might get the ceramic too cold. The idea is to deprive it of oxygen,not freeze it. You could use a Co2 fire extinguisher at intervals too.[p]Steve [p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    Michael, not wanting to sound silly. The solution is to cook more. 4 years ago, I sold my house and lived in a rental for a year. Cooked on the egg about once a month. Had it in a real small area it was bad. Once I moved it out from the house and started to cook more, got rid of the mold. My egg is about10-12 years old no more problems. I understand your dilemna, I live in area called the classic South (Near Agusta Ga). We either have 100% humidity or 110 heat index just about all summer.

• Michael,
    I know what you are talking about. I live in Mississippi and had the same problem with mold.I called the company and the store where I bought my Egg, and the answer was, to use it more often. We were out of town for a month and came back and it was full of mold.Don't get discouraged. I believe it is a Southern problem. I did burn mine for about an hour at a temp. of 400 and it went away..Happy Egging.Go Alabama and Miss State!