Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging in 25 kts winds -- FUN

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was doing pork chops (boneless style - 1.5") yesterday in N.C. along the east coast of the Atlantic. A "Nor`easter" was blow'n at 20-25 kts right on my Egg. This posed a problem of liting the Webber firecube. With difficulty I did get it going and placed it under my grate. I had to close the bottom vent to less than 1/4" open (less than for 225 deg cooking) or the wind would blow the cube flame out. Finally a tiny red spot on the lump was burning. I opened the vent about 1/2" and I had 500 deg in 5 min. 700 deg was reached by opening the vent a tiny bit more (still less than 3/4" open) and no chimney. The chops came out GREAT. [p]The next day - yes, wind still howling at 20-25 kts - I was going to clean the Egg out and add more lump for the steaks we were cooking later that night. I removed the rain cap, opened the bottom vent and whooooosshhhh - a steady steam of ash was now blowing out the top like a steam locomotive chugging up the tracks. In less than 5 min it stopped. While there was a lot of ash under the dome and dust everywhere in there, there was no ash left in the ash pit. [p]Tim