Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's Up With My Fatties?

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first try with fatties. James Dean sausage 2-for-1 sale, so I got two. Cooked them according to instructions from the forum, and the temp got to 170¼ in 1 hour 15 minutes, not the 2 or 3 hours I read about. [p]I used a raised grid, drip pan, kept the temp as directed (I can't remember the specifics at the moment.) I used Raging River on one and Red Eye Express on the other. [p]They were good but I don't know exactly how they are supposed to turn out. Should I have smooshed them together into one bigger fatty?
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Collage-Fatties.jpg
    <p />Judy Mayberry,[p]Sounds like your pit temp was too high. Fatties like dome temps of 200° to 250° and will get done in around 3 hours. Those low temps render a lot of the fat out. You didn't mention a plate setter, only a drip pan, which will work.....But I like a plate setter and a drip pan combo.[p]This picture shows some fatty cooks and a few set-up options. Try some more, they are cheap and good. Here is a link to my fatty page too.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Fatties[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Actually, it was your directions that I used. My dome temp was about 230-240¼. Your directions don't include a plate setter. So that must be the secret!

Judy in San Diego
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]I cook mine the way Thirdeye has stated, but I also think cooking time has to do with the density (fat content) of the meat. My fatties cook at 230-250 and I have had some done in as little as 1 1/2 hours but most take 2 1/2 -3 hours. I use whatever is on sale plus some sausage/ground beef combo I buy from a butcher shop...they are all delicious...[p]Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    3rdI:[p]Ok, so pretty much a 1 lb log, cooked 215-270° for approximately 3 hours, until internal temp is 170°ish?[p]TIA,
    Jeeves
    (I am not getting paid by any company or thirdeye for this posting)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]Okay, okay.....I'll meet you halfway on this one. You are right, I don't mention an indirect set-up, but both pictures do show one. I just went in and added "indirect with drip pan" to the instructions.[p]Thanks for pointing that out. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Judy Mayberry,[p]Using thirdeye's guide (thanks thirdeye) I proceed from there. J Dean (this time) 2 logs. I flatten the first to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.[p]Then, uncooked hashbrowns, 1/3 covered with julienne (no seed or vein) jalepino, next 1/3 yellow peppers, last 1/3 anaheim pepers (all julienned). Next some chedder & monterey jack and sometimes extra sharp cheese (heavy), onion and some crushed garlic cloves.[p]Now the 2nd J Dean log... Again flattened, then put over the top of the first concoction - I leave about 1/2 inch not covered on one side. Then I roll up that up back into a real fat fattie.[p]I cook indirect 1/2 to internal temp 160°-170°. Then some country biskets w/butter and jam and a few biskets for the sausage.[p]Fantastic meal anytime of day (then leftovers).[p]We put in anything that looks good.[p]We ususally cook another small italian sausage fattie along with 'supercharged' fattie.[p]good eatin, Kent
  • KYGran
    KYGran Posts: 18
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,
    I just did my first fatties. They turned out really nicely. It took about 2.25 hours but they had little fat. There was some fat in the drip pan but not much. [p]I am so sorry I forgot to take pictures. I made some cheese biscuits this morning and did take pictures of them. Here are the biscuits, just off the BGE.[p]DSC00585.jpg[p]Here is one opened so you can see all the cheese.[p]DSC00586-1.jpg[p]Here are the assembled fatties on the biscuits. We sat on the deck and chowed down! My son-in-law enjoyed them a bunch!!![p]DSC00589.jpg