Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Atlanta Pizza Dough Follow-up

Options
GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a quick note and question... [p]If I buy pizza dough from a local shop, can I freeze it? [p]Avondale sells the dough at $3/dough ball and Johnny's sells it at $3 for large and $2 for medium dough balls... I'm gonna try Avondale this evening... I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

Comments

• eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    Options
    GirlyEgg,
    I used to own a pizza shop/bakery. We used to buy our bread mixes etc. from a flour milling company that specialized in selling the mixed product. I tried freezing their pizza dough and it didn't freeze well and didn't turn out as good a pizza as it did fresh. They reformulated it and did something to it that made it work very well, just as good as the fresh. I don't know what they did. We also flash froze it so it didn't get a chance to rise due to a slow freeze. You can freeze it, but it probably isn't going to be quite as good as it is fresh as it may not be formulated to be a frozen product. This probably doesn't help you, I guess try one and see what happens. Try and get it in the coldest part of freezor.[p]

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    GirlyEgg,
    i have froze mine and never really had any problems with it athough when you thaw it i put it in the fridge for a day or so and then brought it to room temp.[p]HTH[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• EGGOMANIAC
    EGGOMANIAC Posts: 141
    Options
    eat-bbq,[p]I agree. It will be good but not as good.

[p]OP:
    I usually hit the Publix for pizza dough but I was unaware Johnny's sold it:-)[p]
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    GirlyEgg,
    In my experience, dough that's been frozen is MUCH easier to work with than fresh dough. It doesn't spring back when you shape it and you cn get it very, very thin if you want it.

Judy in San Diego
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    GirlyEgg, please make your own dough - it's quick an easy:
    here is my recipe:[p]Food Processor Dough:[p]1 cup water(room temp)
    1 pack yeast
    1 tablsp olive oil
    1 teasp salt
    +/-3 cups Breadflour (always best when using yeast)[p]Directions:
    Pour water into processor, add yeast - give a quick pulse.
    Add about 1 cup breadflour, salt & oil - give a few quick pulses.
    Add 1 ½ cup more breadflour & process to form a ball- adding more flour as needed. [p]The dough should not be sticky, so adjust the flour used to get a fairly firm, smooth dough.
    Remove from the processor bowl & place on a floured surface to knead it a few more times by hand.
    Place the dough in a covered bowl to rise til double +/-1 1/2 hours.
    Remove from the bowl, punch down & form ino two balls that can be rolled out or shaped with the hands into two 12" pizzas.
    ( you may also want to fold over the edges, to give an edge crust/rim to contain sauce & ingredients)
    my last BGE bake was @ 400°F 35-40min.

Note: i use a pizza screen to build the pizza on, then place the scren on the hot pizza stone that sits on the platesetter (legs down)[p]