Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough in Atlanta

Options
GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All!
After the not so impressive showing of the Trader Joe's pizza dough, I began calling around. Johnny's New York Style Pizza in Decatur (close to me) sells their dough.. and it's one of my favs! I know it's probably easier to actually make the dough - especially with my Kitchenaid "dough-hook"... but in a pinch....

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    GirlyEgg,[p]I wondered about Johnny's. There is one close to me up here in Buford. I agree they have some good dough. Did they tell you the price for the dough?[p]I have used a good bit of Publix dough and it rises a bit much for my taste. They sell it for $1.69 and it easily makes a 14" pie or 2 calzones.
  • GirlyEgg
    Options
    Fidel,
    I forgot to ask price.. but I plan to buy some tomorrow for dinner... I'll keep ya posted!

• Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    Fidel,
    I did the Publix dough tonight, and made two 12' pizzas. I proofed my dough for about 30 min. After proof I portioned the dough into two balls, rolled out on the counter and formed the edges. This gave me a pie that was thin crust but still slightly chewy around the edge and crisp bottom. Baked at 450 dome for 10 min on raised grate with plate setter.
    Just my two cents.
    Doug

• Fidel
    Options
    Buckethead,[p]Usually when I get it, the dough has been sitting in the counter cooler for a while and has plenty proofed. it is usually full of bubbles and is very soft.[p]I have good luck with it, not knocking it at all.
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    Fidel,
    No knocking taken. By proofing this will give you a better product. It will almost double in size and make your dough easier to handle. You need to get your dough to room temp for the yeast to work.
    disclaimer Personal experience only.
    Doug

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    GirlyEgg,
    Avondale Pizza sells their dough as well.[p]I have never used it at the house but their pizzas rock[p]Better than J.Pizza IMHO[p]Jan[p]2 miles south of Avondale

• Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Fidel,
    Hey guy that's what I use is Publix dough, it pretty good and we like the taste. Where you at, are you in Florida.[p]Pork Butt Mike

• Fidel
    Options
    Pork Butt Mike,[p]Metro atlanta area. Publix covers the south like Kudzu.[p]I like their dough, but being an egger, I always like to experiment and try new things.[p]
  • GirlyEgg
    Options
    Metalhead,
    Can I buy it and freeze?

• Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Fidel,
    Ok cool, but I never heard of Kudzu. That close to the mother ship I would be in trouble. LOL[p]Pork Butt Mike