Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too Hot to Egg w/ Pics

BurntRaw
BurntRaw Posts: 565
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With the heat index at a bazillion degrees, I wasn't real keen on firing up the egg until the sun was down, but was still hankering for some smoked grub. What to do, what to do?[p]OF COURSE, fire up the ol' stove top smoker. It has been awhile...[p]StoveTopSmoke003.jpg[p]Corn-smoked crab fingers with a sauce that I ripped off (borrowed) from Churrascos restaurant.[p]StoveTopSmoke011.jpg[p]StoveTopSmoke014.jpg[p]Worked like a charm![p]With the sun down it was time for the egg...[p]StoveTopSmoke020.jpg[p]Throw on a hunk-o-meat, set the guru and back into the air conditioning.[p]StoveTopSmoke018.jpg[p]Is sweat considered a sauce?[p]StoveTopSmoke012.jpg[p]It is all good.[p][p]

Comments

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    BurntRaw,[p]Food looks great! Can I ask what is in the crab sauce?
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    BurntRaw,
    Al: That looks great, Man![p]Last night (6:15), it was 97 degrees in my shop with 4 fans and all windows open. The fireplace log that I normally have to use a hammer and screwdriver on for starter cubes in the Egg...I was able to pinch off 2" chunks with my thumb and index finger.[p]I do so much sanding, etc. That I like to leave the door open and exhaust the stuff outside. However, I think I'm going to break down and put in AC tonight.[p]Mike

• BurntRaw
    Woodbutcher,[p]From memory as I don't have it in front of me:[p]1 Red Bell Pepper
    1 Jalapeno
    1/2 Onion[p]All roughly chopped and saute in EVOO until soft.[p]Deglaze with a 1/4 cup dry sherry and cook off the alcohol.[p]Place in a blender, adding a 10oz can condensed milk and 1/2 cup grated Cotija cheese and puree.[p]Return to sauce pan. Add 2 cups whipping cream and cook until thickened.[p]Strain and serve.[p]Very simple, but an outstanding sauce with the crab.

• BurntRaw,[p]We are supposed to have a heat index close to 110 today. Good news is Hilary may be coming to town soon so that should drop temps back into the 70's.
  • KYGran
    KYGran Posts: 18
    BurntRaw,
    How do you prep and cook the crab?

• BurntRaw
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Your pinching off the starter cube has nothing to do with the heat - it is your "Conan the Barbarian" strength that has been developed through years of sanding![p]You have got to get a separate exhaust system and some air conditioning in there. I don't know how you do it![p]I have built many pieces of furniture in my shop (garage)and remember well the misery of the heat in the summer - therefore I don't do it anymore.
  • BurntRaw
    Buster Dog BBQ,[p]Good One!
  • BurntRaw
    KYGran,[p]I have only done the crab fingers on the stove top smoker - but they are outstanding![p]Place 3 or 4 corn husk on the bottom of the smoker, add some liquid to the pan, place the crab in and put on the burners with the lid open a couple of inches.[p]As soon as smoke starts coming out, close the lid and let her go for five or six minutes.[p]That's it. They are ready and the corn smoke flavor is outstanding.[p]Give it a shot.
    [ul][li]Stove Stop Smoker[/ul]
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    BurntRaw,
    Sounds very good, and simple. Never heard of Cotija cheese but I'll find something that will work.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    BurntRaw, I use the inside pan and rack on the platesetter of my medium Egg. Works great for crab cakes, salmon, and stuffed peppers. I haven't used the stove top smoker in years, but I'm wearing out the inside parts.