Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Prime Rib Observations

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
WudEyeDoo made an earlier post concerning cooking prime rib. I cooked a four pound boneless Prime Rib Roast yesterday and learned a couple of lessons:[p]This roast had been frozen. When I put it on the grill the polder indicated the inside was still below 32 degrees. This resulted in two things. First, a longer cook - about 25 minutes per pound. Second, by the time the middle reached the desired temp the outer portion was more done than I would have liked (although tender & juicy). Obviously better to have the reverse, colder on the outside.[p]I pulled this roast at 120 degrees internal, fully expecting it to be kicking and mooing in the middle. After a 15-20 minute rest I started slicing only to find it what I would call medium rare. If I had cut into the roast immediately (no rest) I'm sure it would have been rare. I was never too concerned about the rest time, but now feel it is almost as important as cooking to the right temperature.[p]Finally, my mother-in-law made a comment about how much she liked the "crunchy part". The roast had been slathered in mustard and then coated with JJ's rub. Once again, kudos' to JJ.[p]Kermit

Comments

• davidm
    Options
    Kermit,[p]The temperature will continue to rise -- often by as much as 10 degrees -- after you pull the roast from the heat. I would urge you to always wait 15-30 minutes before slicing, regardless, because the juices redistribute themselves through the meat during that time.[p]For my money, slow roasting oven cuts at 250 is always the way to go, bumping the temp to 450 for about 15 minutes after the internal temp hits 110. Medium rare, juicy and as tender as you'll get from any cut.[p]Just MHO.[p]Cheers,[p]David[p]