Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The fall apart roast that didn't

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning to you all. Got a good rump roast, I concocted a rub from posts that I've read and let it sit overnight. Got Saturday morning fired up my large BGE to 210 degrees. Put the roast in a drip pan for about seven hours. Move the heat up to 250 degrees for another two hours. Pulled off the grill at 175 degrees Internal. I was expecting fork-tender-fall-apart... alas it was pretty tough but tasted good. What should I do different next time? Thanks for the help

Comments

• TOROLNSTND
    Options
    Dr. H.,
    I don't know if you can ever get fork tender from a rump roast, but if it can be done, I'd think 18-20 hours at 200 deg to 190+ intenal temp should do the trick. Works for brisket.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Dr. H.,[p]Fork tender - fall'n apart requires a lot of marbling in the meat. A rump roast or sirloin or flank steak, etc, are all really lean cuts and they do not do well with long cooks. The long cooking at slow temps is to render the fat away and break down the meat collagen. Lean cuts don't need this and will tend to dry out - yes, even in the Egg. [p]If you cooked it to 170 deg internal, you could have gone a little more and made pulled or shreded beef. I have done a couple rump roasts and the best ones were high temp seared and cooked to about 140 deg internal and sliced thin for sandwiches. I like rump roasts for jerky too.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,[p]Thanks for the comment...and from Char-Woody.and Torolnstand. How much higher heat and for how much longer for shredded beef. This may sound foolish, but then how do you shred the beef?
    Thanks.

• davidm
    Options
    Dr. H.,[p]My favorite way to do rump roast is at 250 until the internal temp gets to 110 degrees. Then bump the heat up to about 450 for 15 minutes for medium rare. Make sure you let the roast sit for 15 to 30 minutes before slicing. [p]That's about as tender as you're going to get with a rump.[p]Cheers,[p]David