Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Roast (Dr. Chicken's) Observations

WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm sure you veterans know these things but the new Eggers might want to see these observations:[p]Load up with the lump. At 500 to 520 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, fill 'er up. I could tell I would run low (temp was dropping) and added lump to finish. [p]I had about a 5 pound prime rib and followed Dr. Chickens advise. My wife doesn't like any red in hers so I cooked it to an internal temp of 170. It took 2 hours 20 minutes with a pretty steady 500 to 520 dome temp. The re-fueling may have added a little time to that cook time, however.[p]I knew 170 would be too done for me but I hoped the egg would keep the meat moist enough to enjoy anyway--NOT. I killed that poor hunk of meat. It was tough and dry, certainly no pink at all. 170 is too much even for well done IMHO. Maybe next time I will shoot for 160. [p]Question for the experts: What internal temp could I get by with to have the outside slices Med.-Well and the middle slices Medium to Med. Rare? [p]

Comments

• WudEyeDoo,
    I'd shot for 140-145 in the middle. This might be border line acceptable for the medium rare preference. Give the better half the end cuts, they'll be more well done.
    B D

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    WudEyeDoo:[p]Trim off most of the excess fat and sear that bone in rib roast at 500º or so on all sides. For the cook damper down to 350º, set roast on ribs, and pull off at 120º internal for rare after a five minute rest.[p]For your Princess, let the roast set on one end to sear longer than the other to give her a well done slice. This will take some experimentation on your part.[p]
  • WudEyeDoo,
    Drop the cooking temp to 350, pull at 140internal and let rest for 10-20 minutes. Majority of roast will be gray, but juicy. Very middle might have a remnant of pink.[p]IAEBG

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    prime3.jpg
    <p />WudEyeDoo,[p]Wow, 2+ hrs at 500+ seems like too much heat for too long. I have done mine at 375 for the same time to get to 130-140 deg in the center. I like my meat pink - not rare - so I give my wife the center and I take the outsides. [p]Many have said to sear the outsides first at 500 deg - maybe you misread the recipe. I don't sear mine - just cook at 350-375 and they brown nicely. Try another. [p]500 deg for 2 hrs will eat up a load of lump so add pleanty.[p]Tim
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    WudEyeDoo,
    I was just looking at Dr. Chicken's recipe and was wondering if you cooked the roast "indirect, over drip pan. It also said 15 minuets per pound, so I figured 1 hr. 15 minuets for your 5 lb. roast.
    I will be having company next month and was going to try one, any information on your cook might help.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Just looked again at the recipe, I guess the extra time was to get it to the well done side for your wife. Sorry, I not notice the extra temps. in the recipe.
    Happy Egg-n,
    New Bob

• New Bob,
    I did cook it indirect with a drip pan. The 170 degree internal temp was so overcooked, I will try 145 or so next time and let the chips fall where they may. I think the 15 minutes per pound is a bit optimistic, even for 145. I would plan on it taking a little longer than that.
    Bob

• Bordello
    WudEyeDoo,
    I will get a small one and give it a try before my company comes. Nothing like a trial run.
    Happy Egg-n
    New Bob