Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Prime Rib Roast (Dr. Chicken's) Observations

WudEyeDooWudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm sure you veterans know these things but the new Eggers might want to see these observations:[p]Load up with the lump. At 500 to 520 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, fill 'er up. I could tell I would run low (temp was dropping) and added lump to finish. [p]I had about a 5 pound prime rib and followed Dr. Chickens advise. My wife doesn't like any red in hers so I cooked it to an internal temp of 170. It took 2 hours 20 minutes with a pretty steady 500 to 520 dome temp. The re-fueling may have added a little time to that cook time, however.[p]I knew 170 would be too done for me but I hoped the egg would keep the meat moist enough to enjoy anyway--NOT. I killed that poor hunk of meat. It was tough and dry, certainly no pink at all. 170 is too much even for well done IMHO. Maybe next time I will shoot for 160. [p]Question for the experts: What internal temp could I get by with to have the outside slices Med.-Well and the middle slices Medium to Med. Rare? [p]

Comments