Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

butt question

SlimSlim Posts: 44
edited 8:41AM in EggHead Forum
how much lump do i put in the egg for a butt cook? to the top of the fire ring? also start from top or bottom? i have layered the largest pieces on the bottom to hopefully keep the bottom holes unclogged!

• slim,
    I would definitely fill it to the top with lump. I lit from the top and that worked well for me. On low and slow, Cat's advise to "sneak up" on your target temp is a good approach. Start shutting your vent some when you get within 50 to 75 degrees of target temp so you don't get fire too hot. Good luck.[p]Bob

• SlimSlim Posts: 44
    WudEyeDoo, thanks i need it as i am a butt virgin! now to the top do you mean to the top of the fire ring or to the bottom of the fire ring?
    thanks again football friends and good eats for sunday!

• slim,
    Top of the fire ring.

• slim,[p]Check your lump one time during the cook.[p]You can tell if it needs more lump.[p]Monitor the temp if more lump is added.