Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pulled Pork for lunch

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a 4 pound bone-in Boston Butt rubbed up and in the fridge. I was figuring to start an indirect cook at around 8 or 9 tonight. I'm aiming for pulled pork sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.[p]This is my first pulled pork so I thought I'd run my plan past the forum and see if there are any suggestions.[p]Aim for a stable egg between 200 and 225 degrees.
Put the pork on and ignore it until the internal
temp hits 170 or so.
Goose the egg to 300-350 and pull the butt off
the egg when it hits 200 internal.[p]Pull, add sauce, and eat.[p][p]

Comments

• SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    Kevin Nolish,[p]Plan sounds good. I cook mine indirect (no mention of your technique) at 225-250. have fun and good eatin'[p]Oh, btw, any rub, mustard or salt and pepper first?[p]Smokey
  • Smokey,[p]I used Brant's Boston Butt rub recipe[p]The rub is paprika, brown sugar, basil, oregano, and cayenne pepper. That's on the butt right now.[p]I'll put mustard on right before I put it on the egg.[p]
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,243
    Kevin Nolish,
    I did a 7 pounder the other night, and it pretty much went at 200 dome overnight and into the morning. When I got up, internal temp was 148. Could not get internal temp much over 150 with a 200 dome temp. Just not enough heat to move it. I let it sit in the 150 range for a few hours, and realized it wasn't going anywhere, so I kicked 'er up to 250 (which is what I usually cook briskets and butts at). It was done after 20 hours. At 250 all the way thru, I would probably be lookin at 15 hours total. Just my guess.[p]Sounds like you have allowed plenty of time. I say go ahead with your 200-225 plan, but plan on going up to 250 as soon as you wake up.[p]Just some thoughts. Great Saturday night on ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Kevin Nolish,
    did one last weekend that had a quick rub (fresh basil,rosmary,sage,salt,sugar,salt,cracked pepper). 4.6 pounds bone in..the bone turned out to be HUGE- I was thinking about 8 hours...took 6. Used 250-300 temps. Sometimes the bone speeds up the cook. Tasted better the next few days as I didn't rush to eat it right away.