Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork for lunch

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a 4 pound bone-in Boston Butt rubbed up and in the fridge. I was figuring to start an indirect cook at around 8 or 9 tonight. I'm aiming for pulled pork sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.[p]This is my first pulled pork so I thought I'd run my plan past the forum and see if there are any suggestions.[p]Aim for a stable egg between 200 and 225 degrees.
Put the pork on and ignore it until the internal
temp hits 170 or so.
Goose the egg to 300-350 and pull the butt off
the egg when it hits 200 internal.[p]Pull, add sauce, and eat.[p][p]

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Kevin Nolish,[p]Plan sounds good. I cook mine indirect (no mention of your technique) at 225-250. have fun and good eatin'[p]Oh, btw, any rub, mustard or salt and pepper first?[p]Smokey
  • Smokey,[p]I used Brant's Boston Butt rub recipe[p]The rub is paprika, brown sugar, basil, oregano, and cayenne pepper. That's on the butt right now.[p]I'll put mustard on right before I put it on the egg.[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Kevin Nolish,
    I did a 7 pounder the other night, and it pretty much went at 200 dome overnight and into the morning. When I got up, internal temp was 148. Could not get internal temp much over 150 with a 200 dome temp. Just not enough heat to move it. I let it sit in the 150 range for a few hours, and realized it wasn't going anywhere, so I kicked 'er up to 250 (which is what I usually cook briskets and butts at). It was done after 20 hours. At 250 all the way thru, I would probably be lookin at 15 hours total. Just my guess.[p]Sounds like you have allowed plenty of time. I say go ahead with your 200-225 plan, but plan on going up to 250 as soon as you wake up.[p]Just some thoughts. Great Saturday night on ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Kevin Nolish,
    did one last weekend that had a quick rub (fresh basil,rosmary,sage,salt,sugar,salt,cracked pepper). 4.6 pounds bone in..the bone turned out to be HUGE- I was thinking about 8 hours...took 6. Used 250-300 temps. Sometimes the bone speeds up the cook. Tasted better the next few days as I didn't rush to eat it right away.