Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A few small BGE questions?

FrancoFranco Posts: 88
edited 12:37PM in EggHead Forum
I have had a large for a year and I love it. The last few days there has been a few post about people buying a 2nd egg and that the second egg of choice seems to be a small.[p]If some of you could help me with a couple of questions I'd appreciate it. One, how much food can you cool on small? Can you do a 5 or 6LB. butt and/or how many steaks will the small do?[p]Also, some of say you move your small around. Is that very easy and do you leave it all together or take it appart? Last, how much would you guess a small weighs and cost?[p]Thanks as always, Frank
·

Comments

• KennyGKennyG Posts: 949
    Franco,[p]The small Egg is the perfect compliment for your large and will surprise you with it's capacity. I use mine twice as much as the large. A 5 or 6 lb butt is no problem (although not much bigger). I've done filets for 6 on mine without a problem. If you talking about big footprint cuts like T-bones or Porterhouse, then it's 2 to 3. The cooking grid is about 13.5" The small is a great grilling Egg since the food is closer to the fire. It weighs about 60 lbs with the innards in place and empty of lump.[p]K~G

·
  • PainterPainter Posts: 464
    Franco,
    I agree with KennyG on the cooking volume.I hauled my small to the Michigan Fest with no problem at all. Mine is in a nest and I take it out (prefferably sober when handling) of nest and put in a Rubbermaid container just to help balance it, but I keep it behind the rear seat in a van. Depending on what you haul it in it might be wise to strap it in like a passenger as the consequences could be bad in an accident.
    Painter

·
  • Carl TCarl T Posts: 179
    Breasts_potatoes.jpg
    <p />Franco,[p]The Small egg is sufficient to feed my wife and I plus our 17 year old son. I love it. [p]To move it, I usually remove the innards and then carry the whole egg to the car/seatbelt. I place the innards back in after it is in the seat. Reverse upon arrival.[p]Carl T

·