Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping the grill clean

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas on how to keep the grill surface clean, or how often you clean it. I dont want to damage the surface by scraping with a spatchula.

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Wardster, like anything else this is a matter of personal preference. You'll hear from people who rely on burn off to "cleaning connies" who wash after every use. Sooooo, that's up to you, but here's a hint that worked for me and keeps me in good standing with my wife...go to a hardware store and for $2.00 buy a replacemnet galvanized metal garbage can lid. Inverted over the kitchen sink it makes a nice shallow round soaking/cleaning tray.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Wardster,
    I most always 'burn off the grille' after a cook. Open the mottom damper and take the top off and let'er rip. Couple of minutes at 700º - 800º and you just dust off whats left. Occasionally I take it in and clean it wih soap and water using a nonmetallic scrubber...a little extra work but it makes me feel good. MY buddy down the street NEVER washes it he just blasts it with high heat.
    Carey

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    RRP,
    Great idea. Once in a while a good soaking is in order and it sure is easier than the elbow grease I expend. I learn something new everytime I come here!
    Carey

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Wardster,
    Ace Hardware and many other places sell cleaning tools for porcelain grids. They are the ones with the two spiral coils of wire. Works for me with some washing.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz