Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Spaghetti Sauce

Options
Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This maybe a lame question, but that won't stop me. Has anyone ever smoked spaghetti sauce? What were the results? Thanks
Fireball

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Fireball,
    No...but sounds intriguing. Seems like it would be awesome, with a very light smoky flavor if you prepared in an uncovered dutch oven...like baked beans on the egg. [p]Lots of possibilities to get smoke flavor. You could smoke the tomatoes and onions first, then do it on the stove. Would love to hear what you find out....I can tell you are gonna try it no matter if anyone else has or not![p]Enjoy the weekend.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fontzmark
    Options
    Fireball,
    I have made a couple smoked tomato sauces at work, we smoked the tomatoes, then pureed them. Once we added a little heavy cream to finish the sauce, and another time we added fresh dill and capers which is great for grilled fish. We used the smoked tomato cream sauce for grilled veal tenderloin, I thought both were pretty good, the cream was my favorite.
    To smoke the tomatoes I just rinsed them off and placed on the egg at the lowest temp I could get. They only need an hour, then place in a deep pan and cover with plastic wrap, this will make the peels come off easier, if you have a food processor just take the core out and toss them in and puree them, skin and all. If the sauce is too thick add a little water or tomato juice to thin out, if you do the caper thing, just warm up the sauce add fresh dill and capers and a nice pat of butter and swirl until melted, be sure to add some salt and pepper![p]
    Football season is here, what is everyone cooking this weekend??
    Pulled pork here, gonna throw one on tonight around midnight.
    Have a good weekend!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Fireball,
    This is about as close that i have come to smoking spaghetti sauce,I cooked this at last years Eggtoberfest...The kids really liked it...This year we are going to cook a couple of crown roast stuffed with onions,mushrooms and sausage.
    Larry

[ul][li]Chicken Cacciatore[/ul]
  • Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Options
    Fireball,
    Recipe in Smoke and Spice that might interest you. Recipe uses pulled pork for meat for sauce. If you don't have access to Smoke and Spice let me know if you want the recipe. Not exactly what you are looking for, but will definitely give you smoke flavor in your spaghetti.