Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Shrimp question

ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
edited 6:11AM in EggHead Forum
Ok...we are part of a "progressive dinner" in a few weeks and wife wants me to cook one of our favorites and for some strange reason, she wants me to do it on the Egg! I was hoping to get it involved in this little dinner thing, but since it's her friends, I wasn't pushing.
Anyway, I'm planning on shrimp wrapped in bacon. Normally, I'd do them in the broiler. Thoughts on times/temps...direc/indirect, etc. And since the dinner is in 2 weeks, I figured I could "experiment" with it for dinner tonight.
Thanks!

·

Comments

• JimWJimW Posts: 450
    Shelby,
    I don't know much about the bacon wrapped part of it. If you get large!!! (16-20/lb), double skewer them (makes turning easier) and cook direct at 350 degrees for 2 minutes per side. They will be just barely done and delicious.
    JimW

·
  • ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    JimW,
    See, my concern is the bacon dripping onto the coals, causing a flare up.
    I'm considering doing indirect over a drip pan.

·
  • Shelby,
    Shrimp will cook alot faster than bacon so it is important to precook your bacon at least halfway. One wrap with the bacon around the shrimp is plenty. I would suggest a fairly hot fire (375-400)with direct heat. Any flare-ups will be minimal and only enhance the cooking process. Double skewering or a fish grid works great to ease handling during cooking. Cooking time will vary with shrimp size. When the shrimp becomes firm it is ready. 5-6 minutes with the Egg top down and holding a steady temperture. Try some bacon wrapped scallos too! YUM!!!!

·