Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Shrimp question

ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
edited 5:58AM in EggHead Forum
Ok...we are part of a "progressive dinner" in a few weeks and wife wants me to cook one of our favorites and for some strange reason, she wants me to do it on the Egg! I was hoping to get it involved in this little dinner thing, but since it's her friends, I wasn't pushing.
Anyway, I'm planning on shrimp wrapped in bacon. Normally, I'd do them in the broiler. Thoughts on times/temps...direc/indirect, etc. And since the dinner is in 2 weeks, I figured I could "experiment" with it for dinner tonight.

• JimWJimW Posts: 450
    I don't know much about the bacon wrapped part of it. If you get large!!! (16-20/lb), double skewer them (makes turning easier) and cook direct at 350 degrees for 2 minutes per side. They will be just barely done and delicious.

• ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    See, my concern is the bacon dripping onto the coals, causing a flare up.
    I'm considering doing indirect over a drip pan.

• Shelby,
    Shrimp will cook alot faster than bacon so it is important to precook your bacon at least halfway. One wrap with the bacon around the shrimp is plenty. I would suggest a fairly hot fire (375-400)with direct heat. Any flare-ups will be minimal and only enhance the cooking process. Double skewering or a fish grid works great to ease handling during cooking. Cooking time will vary with shrimp size. When the shrimp becomes firm it is ready. 5-6 minutes with the Egg top down and holding a steady temperture. Try some bacon wrapped scallos too! YUM!!!!