Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Boston Butt Roast, Rib Rack, V Rack help needed

Options
Jeeves
Jeeves Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so If I'm going to do a Boston Pork Butt:[p]Do I need a Roast rack?
What do you recommend for one?
Should I just get the BGE V-Rack? I don't like it for ribs as the sides don't seem tall enough.[p]Should I get one for roast and one for ribs? Some say I really don't need one unles I'm doing 3-4 or more slabs...[p]Comments and guidance appreciated,[p]Jeeves

[ul][li]TNW Pulled Pork[/ul]

Comments

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    Jeeves,
    Although I'm a newbie, I do my "butts" using platesetter with drip pan, directly on grill grid. I've seen pics of folks using the V-rack.. not it's not necessary... If you're using platesetter, it creates the right amount of "indirect" heat and distance from fire...

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
  • Jeeves
    Options
    Thanks CW...[p]So for me, a couple neighbors to taste and convince to get an egg, freezer (vacuum sealed), do they make them small enough?
  • GirlyEgg,[p]
    Thanks, I'm a newbie as well. I'm really looking for dishwasher safe rib and roasting racks. I was wondering if the roast rack was used to 'hold everything together'.[p]The BGE, especially for one person, is a little overkill and HUGE![p]Thanks much,
    -Jeeves

• Jeeves,
    Ive done a few Butts on the bge,I take a old grill grate and place it on top of the fire ring,then place 2 firebricks
    on top of that. I take 2 more firebricks,bust them in 1/2
    and set them up on the same grate for legs. Thin I place the bge grate on the Legs. If you want a drip pan,I use a
    pie pan.
    The Butt....I use D.P. rubs,I Pat the rub on with a fork,
    (rub doesent stick to the fork) then cover the Butt with
    Yellow Mustard. Ill run the egg close to 200 degrees,using
    Weekend warrior lump,after 16-18 hours Ill take the butt off and rap it in foil and put it in a small cooler.
    There it stays warm till time to Pig Out! 2-6 hours later.[p] Now when you "Peak" we all do,throw in a couple of baking
    potatos....Wash skin,poke holes,grease with crisco,put a Rub on it (D.P.Firewalk) rap em up in foil,and give em a few hours. mmmmmmmm
    Wick[p]

• Jeeves
    Options
    Wick,[p]Thanks much![p]I just placed my order of 'top 5' plus some Jamaican Firewalk and Swamp Venom from DP.[p]There aren't many places around here to get 'firebricks'. I've spoke to one and I'm making a visit Saturday. How does one go about getting them cut into somewhat equal dimensions?[p]Thanks again,
    Mike

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Jeeves,[p] I typically vacuum seal pint bags. The hold about a 1/2 pound each
  • spbull472
    spbull472 Posts: 128
    Options
    Jeeves,[p]My first one went straight on the grill, it was about a 6lb boston butt. Platesetter feet up, drip pan, grill grid,...BUTT![p]Worked like a champ for me.[p]STL Scott