Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt questions from newbie

Options
Woodbutcher
Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all, I'm smoking my first butts on Friday night and I have several questions. I am trying to estimate how long it will take to finish 4 butts. Do I add all of the weights together and then figure about 1 1/2 hour per pound? What temperature (grill temp or dome) should I stabilize the egg at? Also I am cooking dinner that evening so do I just add some lump or should I wait until it's cold and put all new lump in?

Comments

• Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Woodbutcher,[p]1. As long as you leave room for airflow between the butts, they should cook independently at 1.5-2 hrs./lb. but cook by the temperature of the meat and don't count on going by time alone.[p]2. 250 degrees dome temp.[p]3. I've grilled chicken breasts for dinner and then a few hours later topped off the firebox with fresh lump and started my butts. Seemed to go fine.[p]Good luck![p]Braddog
    [ul][li]TNW's Pulled Pork Info[/ul]
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Woodbutcher,[p]We're in this together - I'm going to do a pork butt this weekend as well.[p]I'm not an expert, so what I have to say may be superceeded (sp?) by the more certified 'eggperts' here...[p]Reference: The Naked Whiz Recipe, 220 (dome temp), 2 hours per pound (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm).[p]On his site, he talks about the fire and everything else...[p]The reason you go with time to cook = weight x 1.5 per hour is if it's ONE single object as it takes x amount of time to reach the INSIDE.[p]If you are going with multiple objects:[p]If they are to be cooked the same time per hour, then try to get roughly the same weight.[p]Cook at the rate needed and, if needed, get the old thermapen out and check the internal temperature of each one (use this method even if they are seperate size objects).

[ul][li]Pulled Pork — The Naked Whiz[/ul]
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    Jeeves,
    Okay, thats good since I didn't want it to take a day & a half. Good luck with your butt! If I figure out the picture posting thing I'll post some on Sunday.

• Woodbutcher
    Options
    Braddog,
    Thanks. I'm going to give it a good cleaning before I start dinner and then I'll add some lump after I cook dinner.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Boston Butts are the easiest of the low-n-slows on the BGE...High fat and connective tissue contents makes these difficult to mess up....Fill your box up with lump..largest chunks on bottom..and smaller on top...and at least to the bottom of the fire ring...[p]Light your lump in the middle only...and it will burn down the middle of the pile..once or twice during the cook you need to use a "billy bar" or long fork to jostle unused lump towards the middle and keep your fire burning true...[p]Set up for indirect with your platesetter...put drip pan in place...put on grill...and run your dome temps at 250 - 275...no problems...225 is nice but not necessary...And it will take approximately 1.5-2.0 hours per pound +/-.....[p]All about the internal meat temps..you're looking for 190 -200 degrees for Boston Butts so you can "pull" the meat easily...[p]Best of luck...[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    MY question: [p]Is a ROAST RACK 100% needed/suggested?
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    eddiemac,[p]Thanks for the encouragement! I'm showing off the egg for a lot of people and I've been bragging about how good it cooks. Time to put up some good grub instead of talk.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Woodbutcher,
    i would start that cook at 275 dome temp in a well stabilized egg. for several hours your going to get false readings on your dome thermometer from all that cold meat, if your egg was truly stabilized i would not play with the vent settings for atleast 4 hours. last time i did a big cook like that i stayed up practically thru the night so that i knew things went ok. i wont do a cook like that again, easier to cook 2 at a time and reheat the first lot when needed, it comes out just as good. i would start with a new load of lump and a clean firebox and read elderwards 4 part tuturial in the recipe section. it covers everything from the fire, to the ruband sauce, to the cook, and to the sides

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Woodbutcher,
    I'd go 250 to 275 dome. The 1.5-2 hour per pound is the rule for one butt or 5 butts. Put your probe in the smallest one.[p]Maybe a half hour to an hour to stabalize to a good blue smoke phase. I like to add my wood chips then and let it settle for 5-10 minutes. I don't go crazy with the wood and smoke.[p]At the end of your butt cook I'd kick up the temp to 4-500 for a hour. That will burn off any grease on the lump and give you a head start to a clean fire for your dinner cook.[p]H

• Woodbutcher
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thanks for the tips. His slaw looks good too.