Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What to do with the fat on a Briskett?

FrancoFranco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking up my first briskett this weekend and am wondering, when you buy the 11 to 13LB briskett that is packaged and has the word "trimmed" on it; do you have the butcher trim the fat down more?[p]Thanks for your help as always, Frank
·

Comments

• Franco,[p] NO! In fact, you want a brisket with a decent fat cap on it. It is this fat that bastes the brisket as it cooks (assuming you cook with the fatty side up) and keeps the meat juicy. I'm sure NatureBoy will chime in with his expert advice soon enough.[p]MikeO
    ·
  • Franco,
    Whaddayado with the fat?!?! You cook it for 22 hours then you eat it!!

·
  • ZipZip Posts: 372
    Franco,[p]I would be careful when buying a trimmed brisket. If it is trimmed, try to get one that has about a half to one third inch fat cap. I like to get them in a packer cut cryovac and do the trimming myself. The fat you trim can be rendered over low heat in a pot and added to grease for frying. A little beef tallow makes for some great french fries.[p]Ashley
    ·
  • PainterPainter Posts: 464
    Zip,
    I heard McDonalds thinks it helps their fries also.
    Painter

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,328
    MikeO,
    I've cooked a bunch of 'em, but would be in trouble if I considered myself an expert!
    The advice already given is right on.
    About time we hooked up for a few beers again.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • ZipZip Posts: 372
    Painter,[p]Yea, I guess old habits are hard to break. When they used said they switched to all veg oil, or reduced the ammount of tallow the fries were never the same. Even Julia Child liked their fries when they used the beef fat, but said she wouldn't eat them when they switched.[p]Ashley
    ·
  • Franco,[p]My only addition is that I score the fat so my rub can penetrate.[p]Jeff
    ·