Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Brisket: To hack or smoke whole

davidmdavidm Posts: 64
edited 12:13PM in EggHead Forum
Hi, all:[p]I have an 11-pound brisket that I hope to serve at 5 p.m. Saturday. My plan was to coat it in JJ's Miracle Rub and put it on the Egg at about 1 p.m. Friday, figuring it would take about 24 hours to smoke, indirect, and then I could wrap it in foil and let it sit in a 140-degree oven until serving time. If it takes an hour or two longer I'm still in good shape. If it's ready at 9 a.m. I can wrap it and reheat it later in the day.[p]Then I started wondering if it would be better to cut the beast in two, figuring then about a 12-hour cook, probably starting at 11 p.m. just before bed.[p]So my question is, Does it make a difference if I hack it in two? If I do cut it, do I look for and follow a seam of fat, or can I just whack it into two equal pieces?[p]Not as pressing a problem as World Peace, I know, but I don't often have the whole family and my girlfriend over for dinner, and I'm looking to show off a little. I've got a 6-pound butt going right now. There are only going to be six of us eating all this food, I'm hoping to send everyone home with leftovers they'll remember![p]Cheers,[p]David

Comments

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    davidm,[p]And you already know how to cover yourself and the cook to accomplish everything you wish to do. My very best to you, your girlfriend, and your family.[p]Spin
  • davidm,
    Sorry, but cutting it in half won't cut the cook time in half. I'd do it whole just to avoid the 2 extra crusted surfaces. I do mine at 200 deg for about 20 hours raising to 225-250 the last hour or 2, with little if any time difference between an 11 pound packer and 4 lb flat.

• TOROLNSTND,[p]That makes sense, given how flat and dense a brisket is.[p]Whole it goes into the smoke. Thanks for your help.
  • Spin,[p]Thanks for the encouragement. The Egg and Eggsperts have always treated me wonderfully.