Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Chinese style roast pork

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any ideas/recipes on how to do Chinese sytle roast pork - those thin, red strips of roasted pork that are chopped to bite size pieces? - what cuts are best to use, marinades/spices, at what temp., for how long, or to what internal temperature, direct/indirect, etc. [p]Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.[p]Thanks,

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,243
    NYFerg,
    My wife does a similar dish in the oven, and uses a spice packet from the Asian market. This one I have in my hand is Noh of Hawaii (brand) and is called Chinese Barbecue....Char Siu Seasoning Mix. It can be mixed with water as a marinade (or maybe Sake...just thought of this), or it can be used as a dry rub. The ingredients are sugar, powdered soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, the ever elusive "spices", and red no. 40.[p]I have also seen recipes floating around for doing it yourself char-siu, but not sure how authentic the recipes are. I have tried this packaged version on oven broiled pork, and it was very good. There are some unique spices in it that I cannot identify.[p]You have inspired me to give this a shot. I will probably try this with strips of boston butt, or another cut with some fat. Slice maybe 1/4 inch thick strips, marinate, fold onto on skewers, and grill. I have done skewered strips of butt before, and cooked them at 275 direct flipping every 15 minutes for maybe 45 minutes...or until well browned (or red!!).[p]You could probably use strips from a pork loin, but with the lean meat, you would want to grill much hotter...400-500, just until done (10 minutes or so).[p]Hope this give you some ideas....it has me!
    Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Nature Boy,[p]Country style ribs would probably be a great cut for this.

Dang. You got me thinking about this! Another idear.[p]3/4 inch thick strips of boston butt, marinated and laid flat on the grid indirect at 375-400 until fork tender. Finish direct for a few minutes if not crusted to your liking. Probably take a couple hours.[p]I bet this stuff would be great on ribs too.
    Thanks again for getting the ticker in me 'ead goin.
    Off to get some pork now.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    BluesnBBQ,
    I was thinking of that too! Especially if they aren't cut too fat. Yowza!
    About time for another barbecue get together for us DCites.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BBQfan1BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    NYFerg, Are you talking about those round slivers of pork that are in Chinese bbq pork dishes, and in the Bo-Bo Trays, or served over those little hibatchi gizmos, with the bright red outer coating on the meat? Is so, that sounds like Chinese Barbecued Pork, and I just happen to have done this on the Egg. For the marinade/coating:
    - 1/4 cup soy sauce
    - 2 tablespoons dry red wine
    - 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    - 1 tablespoon honey
    - 2 teaspoons red food coloring (where that bright red comes from, but is optional. Is for eye appeal only)
    - 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    - 1 green onion cut in half
    - 1 clove garlic crushed
    - 2 whole pork tenderloins (about 12 oz each)[p]Combine soy sauce, wine, sugar, honey, food coloring, cinnamon, onion and garlic in a large bowl. Add pork, turning tenderloins to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight, turning meat occasionally.
    Drain pork, reserving marinade. Place tenderloins on a rack over a baking pan or aluminum pan. Put in pre-heated Egg that is riding about 325-350. Turn and baste meat with reserved marinade about every 10-15 minutes until cooked through, about 45 minutes or so. If you want a more grilled finish, put direct on grill for last 5 minutes or so, flipping once to get nice diagonal grill marks on each side of the tenderloins.
    Cut into diagonal slices after letting rest a few minutes.
    Good hot or cooled.
    Qfan[p]

• ZipZip Posts: 372
    Nature Boy,[p]Actually the flap on the back of spares that I cut off will work well. I cooked up 6 of them on sticks this past weekend, but not with Char Siu seasonings. Just soy sauce, honey, and a little rub. There is one over at Ray's page that Qsis posted sometime back, but I have not tried it. The link for it is below.[p]Zip

[ul][li]Char Siu Chinese Marinade (Paul Kirk)[/ul]
  • BBQfan1,[p]Yes. I'm thinking of the the Chinese Barbecued Pork. It's a real favorite in my house - wife and kids love it. I've been thinking it would be a nice change from the usual smokey things I've been doing. Sounds like you have a real good one here. Can't wait for the weekend now - going to give a go. Thanks.

• Zip,
    Thanks for the link. I'll definately give it a try - if Nature Boy doesn't beat me to it![p]This and the one from Qfan above should do me well this wkend. Thanks again,

• Nature Boy,[p]While you are on the line -- I finished up the bag of "Cowboy Lump" and was really quite pleased. There was only one perfectly square piece and it seemed to burn with the rest. There were a surprising number of large pieces of lump throughout the bag. I would buy this again at $10 for 20lb bag.
  • NYFerg,[p]Found this recipe. Follow link below. Have not tried it, so I can't say how it is. But the ingredients sound about right. Hoi Sin sauce can be found in the oriental section of the market. I use Lee Kum Kee brand. I think this brand can be found nationally. Hawaiian salt is just kosher salt.[p]Randy Y
    http://gohawaii.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.si.edu/folklife/vfest/hawaii/recipes.htm#adobo

Hi Paulette.
    That is good news, as my lump supplies (several brands) are nothing but scraps. A big lump run will hopefully shape up! Wess? MikeO? GWW? Still interested in making a Landover MD run?[p]Thanks for the report.
    Best
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com