Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Bread

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just made zucchini bread in the Big Green Egg. It came out great.
We have been using it only to cook meat. Now I am inspired to try to
make Italian bread. I saw recipies for bread using a bread machine and I do not have one. I would like to see a recipe for bread without using a bread machine. Thanks.

Comments

• SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    molly,[p]A while back, Nature Boy post a picture of a French or Italial bread loaf. Looked yummy! Please keep experimenting and tell us of your results (picture are a big plus)![p]Smokey
  • molly,
    Bread machines are simply clever devices that keep bakers from getting their fingers messy. Mix whatever dough the recipe calls for and put it in big bowl covered with plastic wrap. You will get you the same results. If you want thick, hearty bread, take the dough out of the bowl a couple of times as it rises and fold it (just like you fold a piece of paper). This process usually takes a couple of hours. Then, shape the bread, let it rise again and bake it. I've made plenty of bread on the egg, and the egg provides a great crusty finish. Just be careful not to burn the bottom of the bread. I use a place-setter and a pizza stone together to shield the bottom of the bread from the high heat.

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,295
    FrenchBread.jpg
    <p />Smokey,
    Here is that picture. Kinda looks like a croissant, since I had to curl it to fit on the pizza stone![p]I did this quite some time ago, and have not had the time to go at it again. I got the recipe from Dr. Chicken, and it is buried somewhere. It works great on a pizza stone. I think I remember cooking in the 400-425 range.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Nature Boy,
    What are the advantages of cooking bread in the egg over a conventional oven. Oops, you all may not remember what a conventional oven is (grin, I am new to this egg stuff).[p]Hey, how do you get pictures in your messages?

• I was at the supermarket today & got a bag of pizza dough. I threw it in a cake pan let it rise about an inch. Then spread olive oil on top, some kosher salt and chopped garlic. Threw it on the egg at 325 for 25 minutes. (till it was brown on top)We then sat down with this Foccacia like bread and a bowl of fresh garden tomatoes with basil & olive oil. A great end of summer treat!!!!