Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egret! Your Sour Cream Halibut is a favorite!!!

Options
DobieDad
DobieDad Posts: 502
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We did it again tonight. [p]We absolutely love it![p]I am driving distance to a Penzey's and have their outstanding sweet paprika. I love that flavor.[p]Tonight I added more, and our dish looks like a tomato pasta... but it is all fish! [p]And wonderful.[p]Thanks again for posting this Alaskan cooks recipe.[p]Resting after 500°F in the Egg[p]IMG_0007sm.jpg[p]
Just before digging in[p]IMG_0006sm.jpg

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    DobieDad,
    That looks a whole lot better than my original recipe! Well done, my man!!!

• Unknown
    Options
    egret,[p]May I beg the recipe?[p]Kelly
  • DobieDad
    Options
    Kelly,[p]Sure.[p]But ya gots to ask da man![p]And you can believe there are no leftovers to FedEx[p]:)[p](burp)
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Kelly,
    Rumor has it that he is sometimes bashful, so I will post it on his behalf.[p]Halibut, Sour Cream, Egret

Reb,Here's one I use that's easy and excellent :
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb halibut fillets
    1 Cup Mayonaisse
    1 cup white wine or sauterne
    1/2 Cup Sour Cream
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 Cup Onions, Chopped
    Paprika
    Fine bread crumbs

Preparation:
    1 Mix wine and salt and marinate halibut for at least 1 hour.
    2 Drain fish on paper towel, dip both sides in bread crumbs, place in greased baking dish.
    3 Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, and onions, spread over fish and sprinkle top with remaining bread crumbs, and paprika.
    4 Bake at 500 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Egret, 05/30/07

[p]

• DobieDad
    Options
    Richard,[p]He's shy?! [p]He's probably off baking one of his famous breads![p]Thanks, none the less.[p]It is such a simple recipe, yet I played with it.[p]Sweet paprika went into the mayo/sour cream mix, and into the bread crumbs.[p](I had to get that 'paprika' fix)[p]That's it![p]Simple and outstanding!
  • egret
    Options
    Kelly,
    Actually, this came about when AlaskanC was asked about a good recipe for Halibut on the egg. She said she had not had any success cooking this per the conventional egg methods, i.e., direct/indirect raised grid/plate setter, rubs, etc. So, I suggested this recipe which can be done on the egg or in the oven. Actually, I did this once on my small BGE while I was grilling some Coho Salmon fillets on my large and it turned out awesome!! Here is the original recipe :[p]Sour Cream Halibut Recipe[p]1 cup white wine or sauterne
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 pound halibut fillets
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    Fine bread crumbs
    Paprika[p]Mix wine and salt and marinate halibut for at least 1 hour (best if marinated most of the day).
    Drain fish on paper towel, dip both sides in bread crumbs, place in greased baking dish.
    Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, and onions, spread over fish and sprinkle top with remaining bread crumbs, and paprika.
    Bake at 500 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork.

• Unknown
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]ok 'da man' what is your secret?????[p]Most appreciative,[p]kelly
  • egret
    Options
    Thank you for that, Richard. You are the king and master of the recipe database.......BTW, I looked all over my little home town today for currants and couldn't find any. I need to make a batch of your chutney in the next couple of days so I'll try it without them......maybe add a few more golden raisins!? Whatcha think??

• Richard
    Options
    egret,
    If you want a darker color use regular raisins and brown sugar. Any good fresh green fruit will work. Peaches apples tomatoes, kinda ripe, I make a Holiday chutney with cranberries, pineapple, coconut flakes. The basic recipe is vinegar sugar & spices plus fruit of your choice, little more sugar will make it thicker. Call if need guidance. LOL

• Richard
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Great recipe, I prefer Panko, more crunchy.

• egret
    Options
    Richard,
    Thank ya', buddy!! Much appreciated......

• Unknown
    Options
    Richard, would you mind sharing your recipe for your holiday chutney? The holidays will be here before we know it! TY muchly!

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    egret,
    Is there anything non-alcoholic I can substitute for the white wine or sauterne? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Recipe looks great!!!
    ~Pharmeggist

• Richard
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    Understand your request, but not sure why. The alcohol basically cooks off and the flavor is left if it helps your needs.

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    Nevermind.... about my question about alcohol substitutes.[p]Anyone interested, click on link below.

[ul][li]http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/alcoholsubstitutes.htm[/ul]
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    Richard,
    I have a position church related where I work with adults and children alike. Having such a postion I wouldn't want to risk any dis-trust if I were buying such products. With that said if I came over to your house I wouldn't want you to be uncomfortable and hide a beer or a bottle of wine. With that said leave me the Kool Aide and the car keys... I am always happy to be a designated driver.
    Regards, Pharmeggist

• Richard
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    Very understable. The site you found appears to give the flavor you would like. LOL,