Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Good BBQ Story

Options
BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks! Gotta once again apologize for not being around as much as I once useta, but still read most of the posts when I can.
Recently had one of those great little exchanges that make you appreciate the fine folks in the Green Egg circle and bbq universe in general....
We cooked the Canadian Open competition at the first of July and it's a gruelling 2-day event with side dishes and wine pairings that go along with the 4 main meats (brisket, ribs, chicken and ribs). Anyway, for our chicken entry, we did half chickens alongside proscuitto-wrapped scallops and vidalia onion tarts, based on YB/Larry Ward's oft-praised recipe from the 'Tea Time at the Master's' book.
It so happened that one of the judges that came to our site for the chicken entry was from the Augusta area of Georgia!! I mentioned the vidalia onion tart/pie recipe and its source and he said, "That's a great cookbook isn't it?" And I had to admit that I didn't actually own the 'Tea Time' book, but just admired and used the recipe as posted by Larry Ward on the BGE forum. The judge praised the book (and our version of the recipe!) and all was good.
Upon returning home, I had to let Larry/YB know about the conversation I'd had with the judge from Georgia at our Canadian Open event. Well, wouldn't you know it..... 5 or 6 days later, what shows up at my door here in Canada? 'Tea Time at the Masters' courtesy of Larry/YB. No questions asked (well, I got a little suspicious when he asked for my mailing address! LOL), he just sent me a copy of the book, which I'm really looking forward to working my way through. Some great old-time southern recipes in there, from what I can see on first glance!
Anyway, I just wanted to relate this story of what a great community we have here and how the generocity of Eggers and bbq'ers in general never ceases to amaze me. Going to make a concerted effort to get back into attending some of the fests and meet more of you fine folks again!
Thanks again YB, and cheers to all the fine Eggers out there! Keep the spirit alive and well!
Mike/Qfan

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Larry is a nice guy. I enjoy talking to him however briefly in Atlanta.[p]H

• Unknown
    Options
    BBQfan1, I have Second Round Tea-Time At The Masters and I have always enjoyed it so much! There are so many recipes that I prepare all the time. I think I am correct in saying there is a recipe (first page) I believe..that I prepare for so many functions..Artichokes topped with Caviar..and everyone always want the recipe. I use more caviar because I like the apperance and taste of more. Also, it serves so many. Cannot remember all the recipes I have prepared from it but so many! So, I know the other cookbook must be grand...just like the Masters! Take care!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Ann-Sugar Magnolia, try the Pork LOin with Bourbon Sauce on page 173. I have never done this on the egg but I don't see why I couldn't. It could only be better.

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I thought that was sort of a funny title for a cookbook. I just looked it up on Amazon and see that it's a jr league cookbook. Well, we all know jr league cookbooks are the best ever. I notice there are 2 more 'sequels.' Are they just as good? I'm going to order and trying to decide to just get the first one or all three.[p]Thanks,
    Gwen[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    dimplesmom, as you stated...I do not have a bad junior leaque cookbook from any area! However, you will enjoy the stories and recipes which some of our well known professional golfer's wives have submitted. I have only the 2nd but will get the 3rd one. I have so many cookbooks but think I will indulge in the 3rd one. You will not regret getting the 2nd one because it has so many wonderful recipes. I checked the one that was mentioned for the pork tenderloin with bourbon and it does sound good! Again, the recipe for the artichoke dip I mentioned earlier is on page one and you will not regret making it for a party/event. The last time I made it..I remember I had to double it for the number of people I invited and it was wonderful.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Glad you like the book Mike and hope you enjoy some of the recipes...I was told this is the last printing of Tea Time at the Master's but the other 2 will be around for a while.
    Larry

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    ann-magnolia sugar,
    I don't like caviar at all, plus it would be hard for me to get I think. Do they recommend any substitutions? I do love artichokes![p]Gwen