Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bread in the BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello. Have been grilling and smoking in a "kettle-style" grill for years -- love the results but areal pain to keep regulated. I also have a passion for hearth breads and have been considering building a wood-fired brick oven.[p]Saw a BGE the other day and almost bought one -- seems like a perfect vessel for brick-oven style baking 1-2 loaves at a time (I'm also trying to justify junking my perfectly good $400 kettle grill!).[p]Is there any source of information for preparing hearth breads in the BGE? Most specifically, what to do about injecting steam? I know the BGE claims concerning locking in moisture, but a loaf of bread does not have enough water itself to promote the proper crust -- can water be misted into the BGE without damaging the ceramic? (a pan of water won't do it)[p]Any data or experiences are most appreciated. [p] thank you!

Comments

• newsense
    Options
    riscy, I have baked many wonderful loaves of bread in the egg. I bought it especially for making breads... at $600, the egg is cheaper than a brick oven and it can double (or triple) as a smoker and a grill for many really tasty foods.[p]My specialty is ciabatta bread, which doesn't need to be misted. And the crust is fabulous. [p]I also have made sourdough loaves and fougasse (which, in my oven, I mist like crazy during the first 10 minutes of baking). On the egg, the sourdough never seems to rise quite the same as in the oven (I think it's the rough way I treat the dough as I put it in the egg), but it does get a real nice crust without misting.[p]If you go the egg route, you will want to use a place-setter and a pizza stone. This prevents burning the bottom of the loaves. I keep meaning to soak my pizza stone in water before baking bread in the egg. This would be an attempt to duplicate the "steam" process, but I haven't done so yet.[p]I don't think I would dare spray water directly into the egg -- no so much because I worry about damaging the ceramic, but because of the smoke. In the egg, the heat source is directly beneath the bread, and the spray will find its way to hot charcoals. The result... smoke.[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    fbread4.jpg
    <p />newsense,[p]My wife has been bugging me to try Nan (sp?) bread since she tried some at Eggfest2001. I would be interested in your bread recipes to try as well. I have done several calzones and french breads in my Egg with wonderful results - pictured is the setter/stone setup with a french bread loaf. I don't use the pan anymore, just lay it on the stone.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Tim M,
    Yes, it is spelled Nan. Lots of wonderful variations you can try. Go to your library and check some Indian cookbooks.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I am guessing the Indians didn't have a ceramic cooker so I am thinking I would rather get Egg proven recipes than figure it out on my own with the Indians help. Tis the beauty of this forum. Nan bread was made by Bdavison at Eggfest2001 and was very good. My wife has been bugging me to try it myself. [p]Tim