Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Virgin Leftovers Success

Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Through a mixup that I mentioned yesterday, I ended up cooking two dinners night before last and saving one. While we ate one dinner, I roasted a whole chicken (6-plus pounds) slathered with olive oil and salt and pepper on a vertical poultry roaster (Eiffel Tower) with about a cup of white wine in the drip pan. I put the pan on a thin pizza stone which rested on a couple of flat thin firebricks. After about 3 hours at about 350-375, the Polder read 180. The bird was golden, crispy-skinned and the drippings were perfect for making gravy. I wrapped the bird in foil and refrigerated it and the drippings to have as leftovers last night. [p]The gravy was wonderful. I chopped some fresh sage leaves and browned them in butter, then added some flour and whisked it until blended and light brown. Then I added the pan drippings minus the fat, and added some pepper (salt not needed) and just a dash of worcestershire. Then I used some prepared chicken stock to make enough gravy in which to heat the now-sliced meat. Mashed potatoes on the side, of course.[p]The polls are in. This was one terrific dinner, and wouldn't have been possible with my work schedule except that the roasting was done the night before. Who'd have thought leftovers could be this good! Wow, that BGE is just a miracle.[p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Gretl, Already your the teacher..great post! Gravies has been my shortcomings..and I am printing this one out..Your firebrick and stone approach is excellent. This is one of the reasons for using mass to preserve the juices. I have a large cup of leftover drippings from my last bird in the fridge..:-) Thanks for the tips..
    C~W[p]